Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Is diesel additive necessary?

We bought a new truck in June, our first diesel. It is a 2015 F250, 6.7 liter. A friend of ours has a 2011 F350 and told us what brand of diesel additive he uses.

Is this stuff necessary?

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the new truck! I have never used an additive and all mechanics I have talked to say not to use them. Now with that said, You might consider an additive so the fuel doesn't gel at low temp since you are way up North. I have used an ejector/fuel system cleaner but that is not used often at all. Talk to Ford.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We are in Florida for the winter, so low temps are not an issue. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I personally have done both. I've used a couple of different types of additives and then I haven't used any. With our truck being older and having over 215,000 miles on it we have been starting to have a little problem with the fuel pressure regulator. I have found with using the additives it helps smooth out the idle and the cold weather starts are a little easier when I start it with out having it plugged in. During the summer I have been using Power Services Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost and in the winter I use the Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement + Centane Boost which has an antigel in it. I have also used 2 cycle oil in the summer time and have also used in conjunction with the fuel additives. I haven't really noticed any fuel mileage advantages with using any type of additive. Mostly just have noticed a smoother idle and a little quitter running. This is just what my experience has been with our truck and with what we have used. I think when it comes to using an additive it's a personal preference. Some people swear by them and others say they don't work. My suggestion would be if you are considering using an additive check your mileage and engine noise levels starting times, etc. before adding an additive and then run a couple of tanks with an additive and see if you notice any difference.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Talk to Ford.

X2.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Sounds like there are many opinions here! Thanks, Phil & Janine.

We use synthetic oil in the truck and always make sure we fuel up at stations that do a high volume business, which should make sure the fuel is fresher.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Your truck is still under warranty.
Why would you ask for advise about it on an RV forum rather then asking Ford?
Seems to me you are just asking for trouble.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Loneoak
I use "HOWES Diesel Treatment"...According to my automotive parts guy Howes is the favorite of independent commercial operators...He also says that the reason you should use a diesel treatment is due to the fact that diesel fuel is now LOW SULFUR, and the sulfur added lubrication to the interior of the diesel engine...The diesel treatment helps in lubricating the engine...

I also use "STA-BIL 360 Performance" in my gas tank for my gas engine vehicles...It protects gas engines from damage that eathonol can cause...

The way I see it goes to the old adage "Pay me now or pay me later"...

Any how that's my story and I'm sticken to it...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
I used to own a 2005 Ford F-250 SD diesel with the infamous International 6.0L engine. The turbo had to be rebuilt 3 times in the first 50K miles due to soot buildup from the poor, low-sulfur diesel fuel we have here in California. When I asked the Ford service manager what I could do to solve the soot problem he suggested adding a diesel additive such as Power-Kleen or any other fuel additive that has cetane in it. He explained that 8 ounces per tank fill up will allow the stuff we call diesel fuel here in California to burn hotter, cleaner and prevent soot from building up and clogging the turbo. I kept the trunk until last year and put another 50K miles on it. I did not have a single turbo problem with it during that time. I sold the 2005 late last year and bought a 2015 Ford 250 SD 6.7L. Every fill up now make on my new 2015 truck, I still add the 8 oz of Power-Kleen to the tank. I am now a believer in diesel fuel additives for at least the diesel fuel we have to buy here in California.

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I have used Ford Motorcraft PM-22A cetane boost and performance additive in 90% of my fuel fills over the last 100,000 miles. It does add lubricity to the fuel and even though I fuel at high volume stations I figure better safe than sorry. I have 140,000 miles on my truck now. I live in super cold temps in winter and I have never used the antigel version of this. Our fuel up here gets a winter additive already. I've had no water in fuel issues or injector issues whatsoever with my truck. Can't say it helps but it definitely doesn't hurt.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
During the summer I have been using Power Services Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost and in the winter I use the Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost which has an antigel in it.
I use these products in my Duramax.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 25 nights in 8 states, 4611 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We bought a new truck in June, our first diesel. It is a 2015 F250, 6.7 liter. A friend of ours has a 2011 F350 and told us what brand of diesel additive he uses.

Is this stuff necessary?
Your truck will run without using additive. It's just cheap insurance to keep you away from a diesel mechanic.

We use STANADYNE as insurance against injector replacement.
http://www.dieselusa.com/productinfo/stanadyne%20performance%20formula.pdf

While pumping fuel we spoke with a mechanic at the next Diesel pump. He maintains hundreds of diesel engines at his work in Wyoming. He stated that “all of those engines get fuel additive because they need the added lubricity that is no longer in fuel at the pump".

Our Voice of Experience: Unfortunately, no amount of additive will help you if you pump BAD fuel into your tank. The cost can be a new fuel filter, a tank cleaning or worse a set of injectors at $380.00 each. Our bill was $3,000.00 with labor and diagnostics.
· Purchase your fuel at reputable supplier.
· Lock your Fuel Cap.
· Use the best additive.

Our vehicle manual suggests that fuel additives are not needed but they sell their own fuel additive. Go figure. (?)
If I had extra money then I would install an aftermarket fuel filtration system with water separation.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

On my 09 f250 psd I was told by Ford to use a detained additive on every tank of fuel. That was pre-def era engine. The newer engines are different than the older engines. I agree with you asking Ford what to run. I was told by chevy I don't need it for my 14 duramax. I do still run a bottle of power service diesel kleen through it periodically and power service diesel fuel supplement in really cold weather.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
On my 09 f250 psd I was told by Ford to use a detained additive on every tank of fuel. That was pre-def era engine. The newer engines are different than the older engines. I agree with you asking Ford what to run. I was told by chevy I don't need it for my 14 duramax. I do still run a bottle of power service diesel kleen through it periodically and power service diesel fuel supplement in really cold weather.
that was supposed to be cetane additive not detained danged autocorrect.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

on our 2012 f250 and our 2013 f350 platinum, I never used a drop of additive.... and they ran like scalded apes (but sounded like blow driers on steroids with the SCR etc... )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00117.jpg (181.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg f250 & rv BIG.jpg (246.2 KB, 3 views)