Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Lesson learned

Went out for a quick 2 day trip this weekend....
The setup: Purchased a new group 31 deep cycle, and recycled old 29 to serve as power for the trolling motor on my dingy. Charged up the new unit, and was installing it in the camper, attached my first cable, and layed the 2nd on the terminal, when I realized I was hooking it up backwards. Made the corrections, and went inside to try all my 12v equipment, all is good. Thats a relief.
Plugged into shore power for a few days prior to our weekend trip.
Saturday night, my lights are noticeably dimming, but I'm plugged into the campground power......Uh Oh, we have a problem.
Fortunately, the previous owner was as anal as I am, and had all the literature for every item in the trailer stored in a bedroom drawer. I pulled out the paperwork for the converter/distribution box, and went straight to the troubleshooting section. Thats when I learned that there are 2 "Reverse Polarity" 40 amp fuses in the box, just in case someone is DUMB enough to hook up the battery backwards, they blow and protect the converter from harm.
I did not have any spare fuses that size, but fortunately I had some 14 gauge wire to make jumpers to get me through the night until I could get some fuses...... And yes, I bought 2 spares as well for the next time I do it. Lol
Old 05-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Been there, did that, you are not alone LOL
Old 05-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I always take red tape and wrap around the positive cable for the battery. That way if I unhook for any reason, I won’t hook back up wrong.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:48 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I was hooking up 8 solar batteries in series and parallel and got one set in backwards. As soon as I touched the cable to the battery, got a big blowback and it melted clean through the connector in like 1/2 a second.

I checked all the batteries and they were all good. Thank goodness. I love vmax tanks.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel w/ 8' bed
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:27 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I always take red tape and wrap around the positive cable for the battery. That way if I unhook for any reason, I won’t hook back up wrong.
I did the same thing not long after.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Good idea Papa-T on the color tape for the positive cable. I took a picture of the correct hook-up and keep it on my i-phone and have a copy in my trailer papers. ( Nice to hear I’m not the only one that gets discombobbled from time to time on the battery hook-up ! )
keithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:14 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm View Post
Good idea Papa-T on the color tape for the positive cable. I took a picture of the correct hook-up and keep it on my i-phone and have a copy in my trailer papers. ( Nice to hear I’m not the only one that gets discombobbled from time to time on the battery hook-up ! )
It gets worse the older you get. Lol

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm View Post
I'm sure it happens more than folks like to admit to.