Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Veteran RVer and author Marianne Edwards and her daughter, Anna, have just unveiled a new website, www.boondockerswelcome.com, designed to provide fellow RVers a place to meet, arrange boondocking and provide references.

According to a press release, the idea for the web-based club came about because, like most in the RV community, Edwards and her husband, Randy Sturrock, invite RVers who they meet on their travels to stop by and visit their home if they pass through southern Ontario.

“It has always amazed us how natural it feels to extend such invitations even though, sometimes, we’ve just barely met,� she said. “Of course, it’s probably because hosting fellow boondockers is so easy – there’s no need to clean the bathroom, make up the guest bed, or plan meals – RVers are always self-sufficient guests.�

Two years ago on a solo RV trip, Edwards found herself looking for a place to park overnight near a popular tourist area. “I passed many a country driveway with an RV parked in it. At one point, with evening approaching, frustrated, and unable to find a suitable, safe, and affordable overnight location, I brazenly drove down one of these farm laneways, introduced myself, and asked this middle-aged couple if they could allow me a small corner to park just for the night. That’s when it occurred to me: Wouldn’t it be great to know fellow RVers in every part of the country?�

Club members are able to arrange free overnight parking with friends all the way to their destination. More than just a safe place to park overnight, they might begin amazing new friendships, include a bit of social time, and be directed to the “must-sees� of the area.

Eventually, the mother-daughter team hopes to cover the costs of creating and maintaining the website through a small annual membership fee (less than the average price of a night at a campground), but for a limited time, a free lifetime membership is offered to founding members. The club is open to all RVers, even those who cannot offer boondocking space themselves.

Edwards is the author of The Frugal Shunpiker’s Guides to RV Boondocking. Since 2007, she’s been sharing insights and advice on her website, www.frugal-rv-travel.com, and her articles have been published in various North American RV publications including Escapees Magazine, RV Gazette, and The RV Times.

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Ruck,
Thanks for posting, this seems like such a great idea. Over 20 years ago my son and I (he was 10 at the time) did a father/son bonding trip to the black hills in our Starcraft pop-up. We stayed at a KOAnear Mt. Rushmore and we couldn't put up our awning because of the trees at our site. It happened to also be the 50th anniversary of the Sturgis Rally, which I knew nothing about. Anyway, there was a couple camping behind us in a tent, and sometime during the night is started to rain. I saw the fellow out there trying to put towels etc on his bike. I went over and offered him my awning to cover his bike with, and he accepted. The next morning it was folded neatly on the fence between us. I told him to leave it there in case he needed it again, which he did. He left a day before us and when I went to get my awning, there was a note pinned to it. In short the note said "thank you for the generosity and hospitality...my name is _____ and I live in Cincinnati, OH and if you are ever near me and need 'anything' at all, just call and I'll be there." I will never forget that, as hopefully he did not. Paying it forward is something I try to practice all the time and this site seems to be a good start to something like that...we all have something to pay forward for.

Again, thanks Ruck,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote