Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Our recent donation.

My wife Janine and I are dedicated supporters of, and Volunteer with the 'Ronald McDonald' House Charity of Central Florida. (RMHCCF)

The RMH houses provide a place to stay for families with children undergoing treatment and in Orlando are located within the campuses of
Arnold Palmer, Advent Health and Nemours.

Each chapter is for the most part self sufficient, and as a result are constantly raising money to cover the operating costs of the houses.

Last year, thanks to a generous donation, the Orlando Chapter was able to perform some much needed upgrades on it' three properties. They redecorated all 84 of the guest rooms and common areas and even replaced some of the aging fixtures and furniture.

Local businesses had the opportunity to contribute to this major overhaul by sponsoring individual rooms. Part of which involved pairing them with a local artist to provide a piece of original 'themed' art.

I was asked to submit a portfolio for consideration at the end of last Summer. To my delight shortly thereafter I was notified I had been selected by the Orlando Magic Basketball Club to produce a piece for their room at Advent Health. This is particularly sweet as my wife volunteers there at least once a week, and I help out with routine handyman type maintenance as and when it's needed.

I was given a completely free hand to choose the subject, the only stipulation, it must be 'family friendly' and if at all possible bright and positive, given where it's being hung and who's going to be seeing it.

Rather than focus on the team, or a handful of players, I thought a more vibrant subject might be the venue, the relatively new 'Amway Arena'

After a bit of research I found several images I could work with set about creating a painting to capture the excitement of a game.

"Let's go Magic!" is 24" x 36", acrylic on canvas. It was completed in just under one week, and was graciously framed by Windemere Art and Framing.

Prior to finishing this painting, I received another call from the RMH office asking if I would be willing to do a second piece as I had also been selected by 'Southeast Toyota' to provide an original for their room at the Arnold Palmer House.

To say I was thrilled is an understatement. I get to combine two of my passions, Art and cars.

Once again, and to my surprise, they too gave me a free hand to create something.

My initial thought was to render a Land Cruiser kitted out for an African safari, or perhaps a tough rally stage plowing through a mud hole, something dynamic and messy, but showcasing the strength of this marque. I did some image research on 'Google' using 'Toyota' and 'Motorsport' as keywords.

That's when I saw it....

I'm not a follower of NASCAR, so I know nothing about the cars or teams. Who knew Toyota's compete in this series, Huh. (I am however, a big 'Formula One' fan)

Given that the RMH houses are exclusively for the benefit of children undergoing treatment and their families, something that would appeal to them is paramount, and what better than bright colors and candy....enter Kyle Busch's 'M&M' adorned Toyota Camry. I know it's not the road legal Camry you or I might buy, but it bears the Toyota emblem, is brightly colored, features sweeties, everyone should be happy I hope.

I painted this, a composite of various images I found of Mr. Busch doing celebratory donuts after winning last year.

Again it's acrylic on canvas, this time 16" x 40" and once again framed by Windemere Art and Framing.

I'm thankful to have the opportunity and ability to produce this work, it has helped keep me sane during the early part of our recent confinement, and has allowed me to continue to donate to a cause close to our hearts while as volunteers were otherwise physically separated from it.

If these brighten two of the RMH rooms, and hopefully stir some thought, conversation and emotions among the occupants, then what I set out to do has been achieved.

If they do anything for you, that's an additional bonus. I hope you enjoy them.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Team

John, I must say you are truly an amazing mass of talent!!!
You have done some very unique and awesome projects. AND, we on this forum have been fortunate enough that you have saw fit to share some of your talent with us.
Well done!
Thank you.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
My wife Janine and I are dedicated supporters of, and Volunteer with the 'Ronald McDonald' House Charity of Central Florida. (RMHCCF)

The RMH houses provide a place to stay for families with children undergoing treatment and in Orlando are located within the campuses of
Arnold Palmer, Advent Health and Nemours.

Each chapter is for the most part self sufficient, and as a result are constantly raising money to cover the operating costs of the houses.

Last year, thanks to a generous donation, the Orlando Chapter was able to perform some much needed upgrades on it' three properties. They redecorated all 84 of the guest rooms and common areas and even replaced some of the aging fixtures and furniture.

Local businesses had the opportunity to contribute to this major overhaul by sponsoring individual rooms. Part of which involved pairing them with a local artist to provide a piece of original 'themed' art.

I was asked to submit a portfolio for consideration at the end of last Summer. To my delight shortly thereafter I was notified I had been selected by the Orlando Magic Basketball Club to produce a piece for their room at Advent Health. This is particularly sweet as my wife volunteers there at least once a week, and I help out with routine handyman type maintenance as and when it's needed.

I was given a completely free hand to choose the subject, the only stipulation, it must be 'family friendly' and if at all possible bright and positive, given where it's being hung and who's going to be seeing it.

Rather than focus on the team, or a handful of players, I thought a more vibrant subject might be the venue, the relatively new 'Amway Arena'

After a bit of research I found several images I could work with set about creating a painting to capture the excitement of a game.

"Let's go Magic!" is 24" x 36", acrylic on canvas. It was completed in just under one week, and was graciously framed by Windemere Art and Framing.

Prior to finishing this painting, I received another call from the RMH office asking if I would be willing to do a second piece as I had also been selected by 'Southeast Toyota' to provide an original for their room at the Arnold Palmer House.

To say I was thrilled is an understatement. I get to combine two of my passions, Art and cars.

Once again, and to my surprise, they too gave me a free hand to create something.

My initial thought was to render a Land Cruiser kitted out for an African safari, or perhaps a tough rally stage plowing through a mud hole, something dynamic and messy, but showcasing the strength of this marque. I did some image research on 'Google' using 'Toyota' and 'Motorsport' as keywords.

That's when I saw it....

I'm not a follower of NASCAR, so I know nothing about the cars or teams. Who knew Toyota's compete in this series, Huh. (I am however, a big 'Formula One' fan)

Given that the RMH houses are exclusively for the benefit of children undergoing treatment and their families, something that would appeal to them is paramount, and what better than bright colors and candy....enter Kyle Busch's 'M&M' adorned Toyota Camry. I know it's not the road legal Camry you or I might buy, but it bears the Toyota emblem, is brightly colored, features sweeties, everyone should be happy I hope.

I painted this, a composite of various images I found of Mr. Busch doing celebratory donuts after winning last year.

Again it's acrylic on canvas, this time 16" x 40" and once again framed by Windemere Art and Framing.

I'm thankful to have the opportunity and ability to produce this work, it has helped keep me sane during the early part of our recent confinement, and has allowed me to continue to donate to a cause close to our hearts while as volunteers were otherwise physically separated from it.

If these brighten two of the RMH rooms, and hopefully stir some thought, conversation and emotions among the occupants, then what I set out to do has been achieved.

If they do anything for you, that's an additional bonus. I hope you enjoy them.
You have completed AMAZING work. Thanks for sharing. Our local RMC just opened in Sept or Oct. Last year. I hope to tour it or volunteer there some time in the future.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Team

WOW. that's fantastic work. I'm sure you feel proud of you accomplishments.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Awesome!! You are extremely talented and creative.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Wow ! You have a lot of talent!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:50 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

very nice indeed.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:49 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

You guys are too kind, thank you for your kind words.

I always look for the 'silver lining' in any situation, and if nothing else this 'lock-down' provided an opportunity to do things that might otherwise have been put aside.

Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:32 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Wow so talented, nice job.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Perfect timing.

I got these from RMH in my inbox just now. They had all the artwork hung earlier this week in anticipation of re-opening for guests, and kindly sent photos to the respective artists in lieu of a grand opening.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Stay safe everyone.