Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Touching Â*post, Old Farmer. Â*Reminds me of my father-in-law.

He worked hard his entire life, started a small but successful tool & die shop. Â*Planned on traveling when he retired. Â*Sold the shop to one of his employees. Â*First year he was able to travel some but went blind in one eye. Â*The next year he lost his sight. Â*Following year he had alzheimers and was put in a nursing home. Â* Karyl's mom is now well off but Dad Z never got to realize his dream. Â*

Not saying we should be fiscally silly and turn into spendthrifts, but there is great wisdom in enjoying the fruits of your labors today while you can. Â*Tomorrow is uncertain at best. Â*Looking back on the all the trips and vacations we took that we really couldn't afford, I don't regret a single one. Â*Those trips were memory makers for my daughters and us. Â*Priceless!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

2004 we got our first camper...a little Trailmanor. 2 years later, we upgraded to our 2006 present camper. When we bought the first one, we told the kids that there was no inheritance, we were spending it. they were skeptical until we bought our present unit. sure, we took out aline of credit [almost paid off] to get it and have never been sorry. All you fine people are supporting our life style by using the electricity [retired from local electric co.],paying your taxes [i get a Navy retirement check]and paying into the almost bankrupt social security. For all that, I sincerely thank you .

Walt
Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #23
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Well I was just informed on thursday that I cannot return to my job and that I have to go on disability retirement. Was not prepared for that. Decisions now are uncertain!! I just might end up at the N E Rally.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Jersey Guy
Well, I am going to retire in Dec. of this year and be "on the books" until I officially retire Sept. '10. Wife is going to continue to work. I told her that next summer is the "Summer of Mike' and that I was going to load the camper and take the kids on an adventure when they get out of school in June. She is cool with that. I will then do my part time job and maybe look for something full time, who knows?

2008 CF32BL
Old 06-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

It will be four years June 30 th since I retired. I have never gone south for the winter and probably never will since we are raising a 6 1/2 year old Grandson. The winters here in SD are pretty cold, but since I have retired I can stay in the house and watch the blizzards through the windows. I also spend quite a bit of time ice fishing and have an ice house with a bunk, TV, generator and it is pretty comfy. We are leaving Saturday moprning for about two or three weeks of camping and fishing. First time this year and I am more than ready.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #26
New Camper

I enjoyed reading your post, but what is a DW home? And what do 2x6 walls mean?

Also, does your Baptist Mens' group have a website or point of contact? Is it a closed group or open?

It would be neat to be on the road and still have meaning in life. Ministry would be nice,and this men's group seems to be flexible enough so one could work in ministry and still enjoy RV trips.

Thanks for your response.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #27
New Camper

we plan on finding a smaller home after the girls are out of the house and traveling. We love the house we have now. But just as the people that lived here before us, for two people, it isto much house. At that time (retirement)we would sell this house, pay cash for another and hopefully have cash leftover. I wouldn't be comfortable not having a house with my belongings in storage. But on the other hand, since we have let the girls live off us for x-amount of years, maybe we could move in with them when we want to take some time off from traveling....

The above post sounds a lot like our situation. . . . although these people seem to be more sure of their plan, than we do of our plan. This statement does ring a bell inside my heart, though. . . . as I have thought the exact, same thoughts. So now I know that I am not 'crazy'!!!

Actually, our son has land up north and we could park our RV there. I had thought about taking some of our house sale proceeds and giving it to him toward the building of his home on this particular property . . . . . with the stipulation of him giving us a room in the basement of his house . . . with a bath, walk in closet, and small storage room. Someone said that we should have that agreement written up in a legal contract. Our son has such a good heart, that I wouldn't think it necessary. Plus my husband says 'nix' to the idea anyway. I just thought that it sounded practical and I had heard about a similar arrangement happening before.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaspiana
I enjoyed reading your post, but what is a DW home? And what do 2x6 walls mean?

Also, does your Baptist Mens' group have a website or point of contact?Â* Is it a closed group or open?

It would be neat to be on the road and still have meaning in life.Â* Ministry would be nice,Â*and this men's group seems to be flexible enough so one could work in ministry and still enjoy RV trips.

Thanks for your response.Â*

nanaspiana,

DW means double wide mobile home, 2x6 refers to the stud size in the walls. The TBM website is TBM website. On the right hand side there is a builders section, click on 'Newsletters' and open up the latest one to see info on upcoming jobs. You can also look at some of the other info on the web site. The volunteer group is open to anyone wanting to work for Christ. Hope this is helpful.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Old 12-27-2010, 04:31 AM   #29
New Camper

Thanks, Dayle1! Your idea of living is similar to what we had thought about. We drove by a nice looking DW on a wooded piece of property next to a creek last weekend. It had a nice paved parking area with lots of room to pull around. No garage, though. It was in MI, so we may need garages more up here. Anyway, I had my husband turn around and go back and check it out. We both agreed that it might not be a bad idea. We really don't want to waste lot rent in a Mobile Home Park and Harley likes to do his own landscaping. Hopefully we can get away from the bondage of mowing a trimming every week, so that we can be on the road more.

After I posted, I noticed that some people referred to their wives as DW. ha ha I must learn this RV lingo!!!
Closed Thread