Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Roadside Assistance

We are trying to decide if we should renew our Good Sam Roadside Assistance.

A couple we know have it. He is blind so she drives the rig ( truck and travel trailer). They had a flat in Florida in April and were helped by Good Sam.

Today (Sunday) they had a flat on the trailer and called Good Sam. This was west of Toronto. Good Sam was unable to find anyone who would come out and change the tire, so our friend did it. Did I mention that he is blind? Yes, I did.

Our daughter was parked at a shopping centre on a Friday late afternoon in May and was unable to get the slide to go in on her trailer. She called Good Sam and they could not find anyone to come and look at it. Luckily another RVer was nearby and was able to help.

Now my question is, does this happen a lot where Good Sam cannot find anyone to come out? If that is the case, it could be a waste of money. Could it be the time of day or day of the week?

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Depends on where you are...

Once, a few miles east of Lafayette, La on I-10 they found someone from near New Orleans and it took him 3 or 4 hours to get there...

Another two times they could not help me either.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

We have roadside assistance through our Nationwide insurance policy.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I think it's a hit or miss with any company. I just switched to Good Sam since they cover all vehicles we own or so they say. I had an issue with our tow vehicle last year in Indianapolis and had Coachnet at the time and after dropping our RW off at the service center. I thought I was covered but was not since the RW was not hooked to the truck. They said they would help me find any assistance I needed but would not cover for any of the cost. That was nice of them but not nice enough to I didn't renew.
With the extended warrantee we purchased on the RW we also have some sort of roadside assistance and also with the GMC they have one so somehow we just might get help and be covered in the future.

Steve
Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We've used Good Sam once, and are happy with them. The thing to keep in mind is that there are no "Good Sam" tow trucks out there. It's a participating network. GS tries to find service centers and tow trucks across the nation. Of course they are going to find more to choose from in populated areas, and fewer in rural areas. In the "boondocks," things get pretty sparse. But it is the same for AAA and others. Keep in mind that when you intentionally want to get away "from everyone," that some of those drive tow trucks.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
We've used Good Sam once, and are happy with them. The thing to keep in mind is that there are no "Good Sam" tow trucks out there. It's a participating network. GS tries to find service centers and tow trucks across the nation. Of course they are going to find more to choose from in populated areas, and fewer in rural areas. In the "boondocks," things get pretty sparse. But it is the same for AAA and others. Keep in mind that when you intentionally want to get away "from everyone," that some of those drive tow trucks.
I knew that, and I am wondering if the problem is that GS is not paying these participants well enough, so when a call comes in after hours, they are "not available". Our friends had the flat tire west of Toronto, before Kitchener. This is not exactly the boonies.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Brenda and I renewed with Coach-Net due to our experiences in West Nebraska and Rush Hour traffic outside Denton, TX. They have served us well. For us and everyone has different experiences, when we were stranded in Chadron, NE Good Sam was our first contact - unable to assist however Coach-Net had me handled properly in about 20 minutes.

Kenny & Brenda
Denison, TX
2015 Rushmore Lincoln
08' Dodge 3500 SXT DRW
Full Timers
Kenny White is offline   Reply With Quote