Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

RV show

We went to the local RV show last weekend and looked at fivers only, no big suprises. One dealer did have 2 Rushmores and a Volante. Did look at the Rushmores, but since they don't meet my minimum requirement of a coat closet, it was a quick look. We did take a longer look at the Volante since it is a new series for CR and it was kind of disappointing. About $11k more than what we paid for the Cruiser, the cabinet doors were vinyl wrapped rather than raised panel hardwood. The Volante line basically has no options, other than the "mandatory options", the only real option is a 2nd A/C unit. The only other similiar priced unit at the show was a Cougar and it was a better unit in many ways including raised panel doors.

Majority of the other fivers were in the $70k to $95k+ range, 38 ft and longer and over 12k lbs empty. Lots of fancy stuff, but still plenty of quality/design problems. 4" wide black marks on a cream colored floor from the main slide, doors that would latch, loose trim and this with just casual looking.

One unit with an optional king bed had an un-usable bedroom door. There was a rubber door knob protector on the bedroom wall, but the door couldn't be opened past 45 degrees since it hit the mattress. Even if the mattress was moved, it still hit the bed frame. Who would want a bigger bed but then be unable to get thru the bedroom door?

Then there was the front bath with large tub and picture window in the front cap. How can an RV water heater provide enough hot water to fill it? And if you do use the tub, you can count the bug hits on that front window!

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I didn't go our local rv show last month, but it sounds like I didn't miss much. What a shame...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Larry & Cowboy
I got a couple of shows comming up around my area...The sad fact is the big boys have bought out all the independent manufacturers and the quality and everyday functionality of the campers is suffering...I have to admit I was sucked in when I went from my 2007 Cruiser to my 2013 Cruiser...Electric this, motorized that...Should have stayed with the manual equiptment...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Larry & Cowboy
I got a couple of shows comming up around my area...The sad fact is the big boys have bought out all the independent manufacturers and the quality and everyday functionality of the campers is suffering...I have to admit I was sucked in when I went from my 2007 Cruiser to my 2013 Cruiser...Electric this, motorized that...Should have stayed with the manual equiptment...

Tommy, don't know if they make any more manual equipment type Rv's. Pretty sure all the Rv's our size has done away with "manual" equipment and even the newer ones than ours are even more high tech.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
Site Team

[QUOTE=Dayle1;121487]We went to the local RV show last weekend and looked at fivers only, no big suprises. One dealer did have 2 Rushmores and a Volante. Did look at the Rushmores, but since they don't meet my minimum requirement of a coat closet, it was a quick look.

I'm surprised to hear there was Rushmores at the show. Were they older, left over models? I thought they had been discontinued.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Lloyd
I thought the Rushmore line was discontinued also... Was the Carriage it's replacement..???

In God We Trust
Old 02-25-2017, 04:40 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Lloyd
I thought the Rushmore line was discontinued also... Was the Carriage it's replacement..???
My mistake, they were Redwoods.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Larry
Not even sure if the Redwood is part of the Crossroads family anymore...If you look at the lead page for this forum, at the bottom of the page, it is not listed as one of CR's products...I think they are a stand alone brand now...

In God We Trust
Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Site Team

From the Redwood forum;

Quote:
The manufacturer of the ROG units is known as Redwood RV Company, a division of DS Corp DBA Crossroads RV

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

And now Thor