Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Woody Send a message via MSN to Woody Send a message via Yahoo to Woody
Sad Day Today

We made up our mind we had to sell our truck and camper,
age has snuck up on us so quick, 84 and 79 and all the other
things that come along with it, but we can live on our memories
a long time I hope, we enjoyed dry camping in Cades Cove campground
and Elkmont in TN the most. Listed truck and camper both on Facebook
Marketplace and it sold the same day, I was kind of hoping no one
wanted it, we still go once a year to Smokies renting a cabin with
family but it not like real camping, I still enjoy keeping up with
posting here and on GoSmokies forums----I just need to vent a little!!

2006 Cruiser CF29RE (sold)

1996 F350 PSD Dully (sold)

Honda 2000i (2)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Jerry and Faye, Unfortunately time doesn’t stand still and we will all be in the same boat one day. So sorry you had to make that decision but glad you had good fortune selling it quickly. We down sized several years ago to a smaller 5er because I just didn’t feel comfortable pulling that big camper. Look back on the many memories. That’s something we can all do even though it’s not the same. I hope you will stay on the forum and share your wealth of knowledge with others. I wish you both health and happiness for years to come.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Woody, it's a sad day indeed when that happens. It's going to happen to all of us. Some sooner then others.
I think it's great that you folks recognized where you were at and acted on it.

Like you said---you still have the memories.

On a side note. We met a couple from TN. years back. They use to come up here grouse hunting every fall. Their last trip was in 2018. I think Earsey was just into his 80's at that time.

Get out when you can, and enjoy what you can. Also stick around here, you've been a pleasure here on the forum.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:16 AM   #4
New Camper

Consider a permanent campsite

You might consider having a camper at a permanent campsite. That’s what my wife’s parents did and they love it. No pulling required. Just show up and camp.
taydloma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #5
Site Team

Woody having dealt with this personally - my parents - it is indeed a sad day but we will all get there some day. They did choose to buy a trailer on a small lot and instead of pulling the camper to Texas each fall/winter they just drove down.

Just had a family event over the weekend and we all set around remembering our favorite camping stories/trips.

I wish you all the best and please feel free to "vent " anytime.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #6
New Camper

We had to do that same thing last year due to age and health reasons. We miss it.
Shedss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:34 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Jerry & Faye
Sorry to hear you had to sell your rig...I just turned 72 last month and am looking at facing the same decision you just had to make not too many years from now...I think after it gets to hard to pull the rig around I will entertain a seasonal spot at a nice campground, as some other members have posted...As others here have also said, I hope you stay around on this forum, your Knowledge is always welcome...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

So sorry to hear this but yes time doesn't stop. When my parents started reaching the age that this happened, we drove the motor home for them to their favorite park so they could still camp. Eventually though even that ended. My wife and I are heading into that area ourselves but hopefully still many years away. We live in TN near Cades Cove and it and Elkmont (and Cataloochee in fall for elk rut) are some of our favorite camps too. We still want to do some more long distance traveling as soon as wife retires (2 1/2 years out). so I am working to keep myself as healthy (and ornery) as possible to keep moving. On Wednesdays when Cades Cove is shut down to cars, she likes to run the loop and I bike it about twice. All my kids love to camp which started with my parents. A great legacy they gave us.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote