Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Just found out, this last week, that if you are a Disabled Veteran, you have to be a resident of the state of Illinois and/or Ohio in order to get a discount at their state parks(and have a card to prove it). Does anyone else think this is wrong? Idon't reckon Irisked my life and became disabled because I wanted to, nor did I fight and almost die for only certain states and not others!!! Reckon I'll find out about other states prior to trying to camp in their state parks! Am also researching National Parks for RV Camping.
Thanks for letting me vent!

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

First, thank you for your service and thank you to you and your family for your sacrifices. Second, here is a quote from a thread from another forum I frequent. It is talking about the senior pass for the national parks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertHawk
Golden Age Passport was a pass issued by the National Park Service until January 1, 2007. It has been replaced with the Senior Pass of the new pass series now called America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass.

It is a lifetime entrance pass to United States national parks for those 62 years and older. To obtain this a senior citizen need only go to any National Park Service facility that charges an entrance fee with the following:
Proof of age (must be 62 years or older).
Proof of citizenship (must be citizen or permanent resident of the United States)
Ten Dollars cash (the one-time processing fee as of January 1, 2008).

The National Park Service words the Senior Pass on their website as:
This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. Valid at Federal recreation entrance or standard amenity fee sites for: pass holder and occupants of single, private, non-commercial vehicle OR one motorcycle; OR pass holder and three persons (16 and older) where per person fees are charged. The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

There is some differences in them, but they are very similar. Can't remember the differences at this time. Maybe the # of guest one can have with the holder.
SeniorPass

Hope this helps you some.

Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Appreciate the input. "Proof of age (must be 62 years or older)." Not quite there yet, still a young-pup, thanks for the info.

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Anaro,
the difference is the number of people you can take to the facility.
I had the senior pass, went to Acadia national park, showed my senior pass and the girl said "oh this is the old pass...I will give you the new plastic pass, which takes the place of this old pass".
OUCH...now I can't take the whole tribe into national park facilities, just 3 and me.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Well Walt that gets you and the Pups in, also Lindy what else do you need?????????????????

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Sorry Ruck, don't know your age.

Walt- I was just passing on what someone else had mentioned. I am too young myself to look into this option.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote