Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We will be leaving Georgia heading to Missouri via Arkansas. We know the area gets more than its fair share of storms this time of year. We were wondering where would be the best place to go for tornado watches and warnings, in the truck or the camper. We thought maybe the truck. Any thoughts?
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
The last time I was in that situation, the Park Ranger (State Park) told us to head for the restrooms or laundry rooms. Both were block buildings. We decided if needed we would head to the restroom since it had far less glass.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I agree with Cris. We went through atornado warning in SC a few years ago and the camper was abandoned for the block restroom/shower building. We took the truck to the shelter just in case of falling limbs since it was so windy.

Then we had another experience in SC were we didn't abandon the 5er because of hail. Later we learned a tornado touched down about 5 miles from us. We looked at each other andagreed, "That was stupid."
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Just came back from traveling down south.Most of the campgrounds we stayed at for an evening gave us a location for shelter.While traveling our plan was to use a rest stop for shelter.I-20 has rest areas between Shreveport and Dallas with tornado shelters,2 that we saw.However as you will be traveling north maybe the best option would be to inquire with Ark DOT and ask them if they have any established shelters on your route. A rest area is safer than the truck and no windows in the bathroom.If you listen to the tornado warnings on the radio and we heard quite a number of them while we were down there they say to abandon the vehicle and find a low lying area or lay in a ditch.We did keep the atlas handy so we knew where the next rest area was also many tornado warnings issued state counties instead of cities and it was helpful to have the map to locate the counties.Any way just have a safe and enjoyable trip.

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote