Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #61
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Well excuse me if I am wrong. But explain to me the difference between the f150 and the f250. Does the the F250 not have the same running gear brakes etc as the f350,s I know the real trucks do..
If I could I would, i've been building Super Duty's for 23 years and I still can't figure it out. My truck is a F-250 but has the same spring packs as a F-350 4x2, they run 4 different spring packs on the 250 and 3 different on the 350. The 2017 Super Duty and the new f-150 use the same cab, so you tell me.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #62
Gone Traveling

They might be mighty enough to jerk the earth off its axis, but in my opinion the new F150s are the ugliest they've built since the late 90s/early 2000s when it had that bubbly shape, now a square block with a ugly front end. Just my .02 cents.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:25 AM   #63
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
They might be mighty enough to jerk the earth off its axis, but in my opinion the new F150s are the ugliest they've built since the late 90s/early 2000s when it had that bubbly shape, now a square block with a ugly front end. Just my .02 cents.
I think the grill is what makes it look so bad. I also think the 2017 DRW is the best look truck Ford's ever built,SRW don't look as good.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #64
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
This travel trailer decided to commit suicide after realizing it was being pulled by a Ford.

King Fisher
As far as I am concerned this is the best post on this thread...THE CAMPER COMMITTED SUICIDE. I don't care who you are that is _ _ _ _ _ _ funny...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #65
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
King Fisher
As far as I am concerned this is the best post on this thread...THE CAMPER COMMITTED SUICIDE. I don't care who you are that is _ _ _ _ _ _ funny...
The name on the side of the trailer,is the funny part to me, literally!!!
Old 05-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #66
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
King Fisher
Notice the brand of fiver?
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #67
Full Time Camper

When you need the extra insurance that you are going to make it home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1459023785992.jpg (15.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #68
Site Team

I don't think the above post is a dis, it goes to show you the capability of a Ford.

Now, here are some facts.
Although early half-ton pickups could carry max loads of 1000 pounds (453.5 kg), since at least the 1960s, new and improved half-ton pickups have been able to safely carry more, surpassing their namesakes.
But old habits die hard, and the name "half-ton" has stuck around to this day. It's still helpful as a general classification term, differentiating the group from the larger, heavy-duty three-quarter-ton pickups and one-ton pickups (also obsolete terms). 1/2 truck is a misnomer. In fact, the specs are very similiar to the earlier 250/350 specs.

So when someone tells me you only got a 1/2 ton truck it just shows their ignorance of the facts.

My truck:
1) 2013 Ford XLT SCREW
2) 3.5 V-6 Twin Turbo Ecoboost engine 365HP, 420 lbs of torque.
3) Maximum Tow pkg.
4) Heavy Duty Payload pkg.
i) 17" High Capacity 7 lug aluminum rim
ii) Heavy Duty Shock absorbers
iii) 9.75 inch gear set
iv) Upgraded springs, radiator, and auxiliary transmission oil cooler
v) 3.73 limited slip axle
vi) LT245/75R17E BSW a/t tires

5) Max GVWR: 8200
6) Max payload: 2310
7) GCWR: 17,100
8) Aftermarket: Roadmaster Active Suspension, Slotted and drilled brake rotors with aftermarket brakes pads specifically for towing.
9) 20 - 22 mpg on road, city around 15
10) 10- 12 towing

Now, don't try to compare this to a diesel powered truck. That's a different animal and no one will dispute the specs of a diesel engine and it's capabilities.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #69
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I don't think the above post is a dis, it goes to show you the capability of a Ford.

Although early half-ton pickups could carry max loads of 1000 pounds (453.5 kg), since at least the 1960s, new and improved half-ton pickups have been able to safely carry more, surpassing their namesakes.
But old habits die hard, and the name "half-ton" has stuck around to this day. It's still helpful as a general classification term, differentiating the group from the larger, heavy-duty three-quarter-ton pickups and one-ton pickups (also obsolete terms). 1/2 truck is a misnomer. In fact, the specs are very similiar to the earlier 250/350 specs.

So when someone tells me you only got a 1/2 ton truck it just shows their ignorance of the facts.

My truck:
1) 2013 Ford XLT SCREW
3) Maximum Tow pkg.
iii) 9.75 inch gear set

8) Aftermarket: Roadmaster Active Suspension, Slotted and drilled brake rotors with aftermarket brakes pads specifically for towing.
10) 10- 12 towing

Now, don't try to compare this to a diesel powered truck. That's a different animal and no one will dispute the specs of a diesel engine and it's capabilities.
If you go to the Ford website there is a F-150 5.0 with a 3270 lbs of payload and an Eco-boost with 12,200lbs of tow rating. That's impressive my F-250 has about the same payload.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #70
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
The name on the side of the trailer,is the funny part to me, literally!!!
Yes I saw the model of the camper in the picture...The thing that struck me as funniest was King Fisher's statement that the camper committed suicide...It was like I was hearing something I would have said...someone else with a DERANGED sense of humor... Love it...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #71
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
When you need the extra insurance that you are going to make it home.
Did he have a motorcycle on a trailer behind the 5er?
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #72
Site Team

He could have. Only the Ford could do the job of carrying a car and towing a 5er and a cycle.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #73
Full Time Camper

Quote:
He could have. Only the Ford could do the job of carrying a car and towing a 5er and a cycle.
Is not photo shop a wonderful tool
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #74
Full Time Camper

Quote:

My truck:
1) 2013 Ford XLT SCREW
3) Maximum Tow pkg.
iii) 9.75 inch gear set

10) 10- 12 towing

Correct me if I'm wrong
You have a half ton with a powerful engine we did this in the early 70s dropping in 351 cleavlands. You have 7 hole lugs on a half ton differential which is better than 6 but not quite 8 or 10..you have an upgraded springs , rad and tranny cooler upgraded to stouter tires had to upgrade to after market suspension, brakes while doing this on a lighter frame. Would have been better off buying a 3/4 ton and saved all the extras. Could have dropped your Eco Boost in it and been done.i have been building trucks for 4 wheeling mud bogging for years.i know these new trucks out no matter what brand are signifinatley better than the older model years. You are better off starting with a heavy foundation and building from there. You can't turn a sows ear into a silk purse
Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #75
Site Team

[QUOTE=woodwalker;111621 You are better off starting with a heavy foundation and building from there. You can't turn a sows ear into a silk purse[/QUOTE]

Shane, that is exactly what I have been trying to make you understand.
Had I succeeded in teaching you that, then you wouldn't have had to try and get a couple more ponies under the hood of that GM.
It's still a GM, and like you said you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Now as far as the rear ends under my Eco-Boost, they are not the normal f150 rear end. Much heavier. Brakes to.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #76
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Had I succeeded in teaching you that, then you wouldn't have had to try and get a couple more ponies under the hood of that GM.
It's still a GM, and like you said you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Now as far as the rear ends under my Eco-Boost, they are not the normal f150 rear end. Much heavier. Brakes to.
When General Motors became Government Motors taking all that money from the taxpayers I had trouble forcing myself to consider GM products

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #77
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post

So tell me are they the same ones the 3/4 tons are. No one here has been able to explain to me the difference between an f150 and f 250. In the real world there are considerable differences. Granted the new half tons have come a long way from days of old.they are still built lighter than the big boys. If you want to soar with the Eagles you need to get out of the chicken coop
Old 05-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #78
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro BSer View Post
When General Motors became Government Motors taking all that money from the taxpayers I had trouble forcing myself to consider GM products
Yup
When Monica stated smoking cigars I quit them to
Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #79
Site Team

Woodwalker. I don't know why, but you are obsessed to comparing a 1/2 to a 3/4 - 1 ton truck. That's not the comparison I'm talking about. I'm just stating that the Fords are a much more superior truck than your GMC, the Chevys or especially the Dodges. I just feel bad for you that you're stuck with that GMC. But eventually, maybe you'll see the error of your ways.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #80
Full Time Camper

lol. Funny thread! I'm enjoying myself reading the comments.

Here's my 2 cents. Used to drive GM and Ford trucks. Wouldn't touch a GM after bailout. Last two Fords have been Super Duty's. 2005 F250 and my current 2011 F350. Dodge won't get a $ of mine because other than a good Cummins motor in their heavy duty, they put the weakest transmissions available in their trucks until recently upgrading to Aisin. Took them decades of crap trannys to figure out that if you spent $150 more at the factory and built it right you wouldn't have such a piece of crap truck. Instead of doing that, they finally just put an Aisin in. I know shops that stayed in business just upgrading and bullet proofing crap dodge trannys.

Always towed with more truck than I needed. Always safe no matter what I've encountered. For now, I'll take my 2011 F350 6.7L 8,300 pound 1-ton diesel powerhouse with oversized brakes, heavier frame, stiffer suspension, bulletproof tranny and rear end and monster payload and then further heavily modified.... 145,000 miles on it now - leveling kit, Firestone air bags with Wireless Air remote, DPF delete, EGR delete, DEF delete, 50 gallon Titan under mount fuel tank, H&S Tuner, S&B cold air intake, 4" FloPro dual exhaust and a few other mods. AKA "4TNROKT" vanity plates. Currently running 500HP and 925 ft lbs of torque. And average fuel economy 19mpg dry / 13mpg towing (in US gallons). It looks better when I show it in imperial gallons. Lol. Yes, the Cdn gallon is bigger!

Even before modifying my truck it towed like a beast. I just don't like getting shut down by a faulty NOX sensor in the DPF going through Indianapolis on a Saturday afternoon at 4:30pm like I did in 2012

Pulling 13,500 pounds is not even noticible going up or down 8% grades all day in the mountains at low RPMs in 6th gear, occasionally 5th. The rest of you can keep your half tons, unless I get a smaller trailer, I won't be towing with anything smaller. If I get a bigger trailer in the future I'll probably be driving a F350 dually or F450.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote