Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
Site Team

Can any of you TX. people tell me anything about Hwy. 16? It takes off Hwy. 20 and heads down into Kerrville. I been looking at the maps trying to lay out a route for the trip down.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you are not in any big hurry it is a pretty drive. It is a 2 lane highway that will take you through the Texas Hill Country anda fewsmall towns.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

If you're referring to Hwy 20 as I-20 and depending on which direction you're coming from, there are two issues to take into consideration.

TX16 is a marked scenic route into the TX Hill country. Numerous small town and will not have the extra wide shoulders.

OTH - US281 is a major north south US Hwy all the wayfrom I-20 into San Antonio. It has 4-lanes in a major portion of that route. It also has passing lanes in the hills as you approach the hill country.

Time wise, you can make just about as good time on TX16 as US 281 providing you don't get hung up behind an equipment hauler or some type of other slow moving vehicle.

We come out of NE TX and will normally get on TX16 at Goldthwaite down to K'ville, then go back up on US281. Six of of one - half dozen of the other.

As far as routing is concerned, there is a much shorter way to get to K'ville and by pass the DFW area entirely. This is especially true if your'e coming into TX on I-30.

Edited by: greyeagle
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Really depends on where you come into Tx from. East or West?

Hwy 16 off 20 is a nice slow scenic drive that winds thru every small town there is, (it seems like anyway). It's a nice ride on a bike but I don't know about a 5er. I prefer a few less curves and a tad wider road.

Greyeagle how do you get out of East Texas and over to Goldwaithe?
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

US281 south to Johnson City, 4 lanes southern portion, mixed 2 lanes and 4 lanes northern portion. US290 west to Fredricksburg, 4 lanes. TX16 to Kerrville is mostly 2 lanes. I tow on these roads all the time. Walmart in Marble Falls sells diesel, $3.50/gal right now. You will be just 25 miles from my house. Spend some time in Fredricksburg at the Nimitz museum or just shopping and dining.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Lloyd were are going to spend Saturday thru Thrusday at Glen Rose and than take 281 down to Kerrville

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
how do you get out of East Texas and over to Goldwaithe?
West on FM 515 toTX 19 at Emory, then south to Athens on 19. West on Loop7 around Athens to TX 31.

TX 31 to Waco to I-35. South on I-35 for about 5 or 6 miles to Loop 340 (TX6) . Westat US84.
US 84 to Goldthwaite, then south on TX 16.

There was a little construction on US84 from Goldhwaite east where they are widdening the road, but no significant delay other than slow down.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
Site Team

Thanks for the input guys. I looked a little closer at some of the roads you mentioned, and can see they are better routes. We will be coming in on I-35 from the north, just didn't know for sure how far south I wanted to go on it. Considered going into Austin. Heard Keith was throwing a Wed. night out on the town for who ever showed up. Just kidding.

Larry-- where are you located from Fredericksburg? Don't see you on the map.

greyeagle-- yes, I meant I-20. Just didn't word it right I guess.

Frank-- whats in Glen Rose?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

If you are coming South on I35 I would just stay on it until you get just North of Georgetwon then take Hwy 29 West to Burnet.Turn lefton Hwy 281 South and stay on it until you get to Johnson City then take Hwy 290 West until Fredericksburg. Just before you get into town there is a short cut around Fredericksburg (I can tell you that if you decide to go this way) that will put you on hwy16 South that will take you to I10 just North of Kerrville. The park is about 5 miles or so West on I10.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

OldFamer:

If you're coming thru Okla City on I-35, would seriously recommend heading out of OKC on I-44 down to Wichita Falls, TX, then take US281 south.

Two reasons, it's shorter and you don't have to deal with all the craziness of I-35 thru DFW.
The closer you get to Round Rock andAustin area, the worse the issue becomes. When you look at a map, you'll see that Wichita Falls is almost due north of Kerrville.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeagle

West on FM 515 toÂ*TX 19 at Emory,Â* then south to Athens on 19. West on LoopÂ*7 around Athens to TX 31.
Â*
TX 31 to Waco to I-35. South on I-35 for about 5 or 6 miles to Loop 340 (TX6) . WestÂ*at US84.
US 84 to Goldthwaite, then south on TX 16.
Â*
There was a little construction on US84 from GoldhwaiteÂ* east where they are widdening the road, but no significant delay other than slow down.

I'll go along with that except for 31, I can't stand the tha-thump tha-thump of the pavement. We're over by Cedar Creek and take 34 across.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeagle

OldFamer:

If you're coming thru Okla City on I-35, would seriously recommend heading out of OKC on I-44 down to Wichita Falls, TX, then take US281 south.

Two reasons, it's shorter and you don't have to deal with all the craziness of I-35 thru DFW.
The closer you get to Round Rock andAustin area, the worse the issue becomes. When you look at a map, you'll see that Wichita Falls is almost due north of Kerrville.
After looking at the map again, I believe you are right. All tho, the thing that bothers me about going that way is the toll. I will have to get Frank to cough up, err, float me a loan.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Well, knowing what can and will happen on I-35, I'd pay just about anything not to have to sit in bogged down traffic for no telling how long.

Problem with I-35 is that TXDot and the locals will completely shut down the Interestate for just about any kind of an accident. I'm begining to believe these guys get their kicks by seeing just how much of a backup they can cause.

But, there is an alternative to most of the toll road.

Take the toll road down to Chickasha, then US81 down to Waurika, west on US70 for a couple of miles then TX 79 into Wichita Falls.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Lloyd we will be staying at Tres Rios there there are several good RV resorts around there. I think this is a Coast to Coast and a ROD park. There are a lot of real neat things to do there. This was Ryan's favorite spot to go with us. We will be scattering his ashes while we are here. I hope his father will join us. As for the money normally I would say no problem, but the Lovely Janet package is on the tear for a new Abode. I said find one that we can park the fifth wheel at. Tomorrow we look at five different units yuckHowever if you are nice to Hoover he may hit his 401K for you
Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
I'll go along with that except for 31, I can't stand the tha-thump tha-thump of the pavement. We're over by Cedar Creek and take 34 across.
We've been on TX 31 all the way from Tyler to Waco and haven't experienced any wham bam thank you mamm on any of these roads.

Where is all this roughness? Has it come about since Xmas?