Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Wish I could let you know that there is a problem with your RV.

To those RVers traveling the opposite direction down the Interstate System:
· Hey! The front seal on your roof is bad and your roofing material has a huge bubble of air under it. I can’t get your attention, I can’t turn around even if I could I couldn’t catch up to you while towing this rig of mine. (TWICE)
· Hey! Your awning is about to fly off the side of your RV. We can hear it banging against the side of your rig from over here. I can’t get your attention, I can’t turn around even if I could I couldn’t catch up to you while towing this rig of mine. (TWICE)

To those RVers traveling the same direction down the Interstate System:
· Hey! Your steps are extended and you darn near hit our RV. I’m flashing my lights and horning the horn but can’t seem to get your attention and anyway your traveling 10-15 over the speed limit.
· Hey! Your rear stabilizers are extended! You have already torn off the left one and the right unit is bouncing off of the pavement. It may soon become a missile through a family’s windshield. I’m flashing my lights and horning the horn to no avail. At 85mph we caught up and finally got your attention. Thank heavens you stopped to do the walk around that you needed to do before pulling out.

Unfortunately this could be any of us if we aren’t vigilant about maintenance and safety.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Hey you, yes you with the trailer nose scraping the ground and the headlights pointed to the sky. Let me introduce you to a wdh. They are actually pretty simple to use. I was too afraid to get your attention as you looked like you had your hands full.

Hey you with your trailer windows open. You do know that the black clouds ahead and cars coming at you with their lights on indicate a rain storm is coming. I couldn't get your attention, I think you were too busy lighting your cigarette.

Hey you, the class C leaving the campground, your steps are down. I wish I could have caught your attention as you pulled out.

Hey you with the pop up going 85mph and cutting in and out of rush hour traffic, do you know your bikes are hanging out the side of your truck far enough to 've concerned about the cars next to you and your pop up is rocking back and forth and catching air? Sorry I couldn't catch up to you to warn you.

Hey you that warned me about that tree at the campground, thank you for catching what my spotter missed in my blind spot and yelling loud enough to make me stop.

Now if could all talk to each other and help each other be safer and more mindful then camping would be a safer place... oh wait, that's what we have these forums for.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

solution - Amateur Radio - highway frequency- 146.520
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I know some people have a check list for setting up and for breaking down. Although I do NOT have a check list on paper I do have one in my head. I DO NOT like to be disturbed when I am setting up or breaking down...It breaks my train of thought...Most importantly I do a walk around EVERY TIME I start to tow... Even when I am ready to leave a rest station or stop for something to eat... I also check my hitch to make sure no one has tampered with it...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
I know some people have a check list for setting up and for breaking down. Although I do NOT have a check list on paper I do have one in my head. I DO NOT like to be disturbed when I am setting up or breaking down...It breaks my train of thought...Most importantly I do a walk around EVERY TIME I start to tow... Even when I am ready to leave a rest station or stop for something to eat... I also check my hitch to make sure no one has tampered with it...
X2... Called a Pre Trip Inspection. Mandatory in the trucking industry.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

....used my mental check list. All was secure and was leaving the campground...everyone was waving "good bye". Well, I was waving back.
Then, someone shouted, "your antenna is up....OOPS.
So much for my aging brain and mental check list...lol
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
I put a padlock on our hitch to prevent tampering with it. Although I guess they could still pull a cotter pin or unplug a cable etc. I too check things before leaving and after stopping. We had checklists for the old tt, haven't made them for this one yet. DH and I just argued about interrupting and trying to help during cleanup. I told him while I appreciate the help, it messes up my order and then messes me up. His argument.... he wanted to get home for the game and he thinks we should both know how to do set up and take down inside and out. To his second point, he is right and checklists would help here. First point, go outside and leave me alone.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Here's the check list we use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DEPARTURE CHECKLIST 1.pdf (28.9 KB, 46 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Here's the check list we use.
Mark
If I used that check list I would have to stay another night... I'm sorry Just Kidden...

Every one has their own system...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Site Team

I still left the campground with the steps down, so, so much for following a list. And as usual, it was Susan's fault.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Great post, Kamper Dave! I am super anal about going over the unit before I pull out, especially with making sure my fifth wheel is properly hitched and locked. I saw a guy pull out of the campground last fall with a brand new Dodge 3500 diesel pulling a brand new triple axle Fuzion toy hauler fifth wheel, and he didn't have it hitched. Needless to say he had considerable damage to his truck bed and spent an hour getting the trailer jacked up and re-hitched. It pays to spend that little bit of extra time to be sure everything is as it should be before hitting the road. I also stop every hour or so and look things over when I'm pulling long distance.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote