Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello everyone;

Just wanted to know if there were any workampers in this forum family.

My wife and I are making the move to a full time RV lifestyle after being in the same career for 19 years. Walking away from our highest paying jobs of our life time was aan experience in itself.....but also one that we both really enjoyeddoing together.

We are looking forward to a muchless stressful life and also the minimalist attitude of living in our RV full time. Being only 46 and 44 years young, we look forward to being able to experience this adventuretogetherapproaching this as our lifestyle to work and travel at the same time.

So how about it.....are there any moreworkampers here.......?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Congrats on your choice. My DW and I go full-time in 6 weeks when she retires. I admire your verve at your age to do this...I wish you well in your endeavor.

Now to answer your question, we did look at Workamper, but at this time we have so much we want to do and see (bucket list LOL) that it won't allow us time for anything but travel and sight-seeing. Maybe in a few years, when we've seen enough we will consider it, we have friends who are older than us who do the Workamper thing, and they love it. If you would like some information from them let me know and I'll put you in contact with them.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Full time RVings is IMHO, very costly unless one is parked in one place and not moving around. EVERY full time couple we have met in the past 3-1/2 years are workcamping at least part of the year. With the price of fuel and our collective mpg so low it is costly to be traveling.

We did the workcamping thing last year and say "no more". While the actual job was easy the work environment turned hostile and unpleasant. We have a set rule: the only bathrooms we clean are the ones at home or in our RV. Just about every workcamping job is for two people with thewoman working the office and man outside in maintenance.........meaning mowing, trash and bathroom cleaning. This is not my idea of retirement. If we have to resort to this then we cannot afford to retire. We have chosen to volunteer at a state park. This gives us a FHU spot for a combined 24 hours of easy work a week.

Remember, when you are full timing you are not using your Cruiser for its intended purpose: vacation RVing. There are great differences between a Cruiser and a higher level RV or motorhome. You will find things break in any RV and when they happen to a full timer it is most likely you will need a mobile RV repair service: costly.

Of course most full timers we have met are older, mostly seniors so a young couple might not experience some of the same issues.

We love RVing but also like coming off the road and being home.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We don't workcamp, but instead work with the organization in our signature for the past 11 yrs. There is no pay, just FHU and some meals. On a few occasions, extra reimbursement for distant jobs. Generally, there is no signup, just arrive at the job, and few rules. We have worked thru out the US plus several overseas jobs (w/o the RV). Group sizes typically range from 6 to 24 couples. The organization has 9 tool trailers and anything needed that isn't on the tool trailer will be rented. Projects range from remodeling to 10,000 SF new construction. After the 1st job, it is rare to arrive at a job w/o knowing other couples and we always find interesting things to do and see. Those couples that full time sometimes stay 'off weeks' at the project site with the benefit of FHUs. No experience or specific training needed. Send me a PM if you would like more info.
Edited by: Dayle1

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I give up...FHUs??

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Oh...free hook ups...soon a I pushed post...go figure...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

... or 'Full Hook Ups'... Thanks artgpo for the lifestyle synopsis, and Larry Day, I may be getting in touch w/you, thanks.

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Only 14 more years and we will be doing something like this, I hope

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I hear you longhauler! Thats about my time frame too. That's one nice looking truck. Even though im a ford man I will say that.