Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 12:30 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

12 volt refrigerator

We just put a deposit down and pre-ordered a 2021 Crossroads Sunset Trail 212RB. In looking at the literature ONE LAST TIME, I’m seeing now that the unit comes standard with a 12 volt/120 vac 11 cu ft fridge in the slide out instead of the propane/120 8 cu ft fridge. I recall reading some posts on this forum of owners who were really unhappy with the 12 v fridges and advised to steer clear of them. But I can’t recall why. Does anyone here have any familiarity with them and if so, what has your experience been? Also I’ve heard some negative things about fridges in slide outs in general. Any comments on that as well would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks.
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
Site Team

If you are on electric hook ups then no problem but if you are not it will drain the battery pretty quick. My cruiser has a refrigerator in the slide and we have not had any problems with it. Just be sure to pull the upper access door and make sure the cooling fins are kept clean.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
Gone Traveling

That may just be a typo in the brochure! Not convinced that the people that type up the literature have ever stepped into a RV of any type let alone have any clue as to how they operate.
I'd be certain as to what it is prior to signing off & if it's only 12/120 be sure the dealer installed at least 2 good quality deep cycle batteries.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Can you list the brand and model #?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg2724 View Post
We just put a deposit down and pre-ordered a 2021 Crossroads Sunset Trail 212RB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Can you list the brand and model #?

He did.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Yeah Lloyd, I missed that.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I watch a lot of RV videos on YouTube, and I've seen a few touting the new 12V/120V fridges. I've searched a little, and not exactly sure how they work. But they tend to be very small, and expensive. IMO, they're designed for people who are afraid of propane.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Team

At the last local RV show a salesman told me that a manufacture survey showed that people would turn on the refrigerator at home on electric then turn it off on the road because of the propane. Then back to electric at the camp ground. So if they added 12 to be used while on the road it would be popular.

I remember when you had a 3 way refrigerator 110V - 12V - or propane. Back then the 12volt would drain a battery over night so you just used propane. Electric hook ups were few and far between and if available were a lot higher- at least around here. Then again some of our first campers had ice boxes and you would have to buy blocks of ice.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:27 AM   #9
New Camper

Hi! I just came across your post. I would like to chime in with the question, which fridge would you recommend then for an RV? Mine keeps breaking all the time.
filippomedicines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:36 AM   #10
New Camper

Hey there! As someone who lives in an RV, I can understand your concern about the 12-volt refrigerator. I haven't personally used one, but I've heard mixed reviews about them. Some people have reported issues with keeping their food cold, while others have had no problems. As for fridges in slide-outs, I haven't had any negative experiences myself, but I've heard that they can sometimes be less reliable than other types of refrigerators.
If you do end up having issues with your fridge, you might want to look into local services. They can often fix the problem without you having to replace the whole unit.
kamaveles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt fridges, 12 volt refrigerators