Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Finally able to takeour new ST25Rb off the lot. Due to work we haven't been able to pick it up but thats another story!!!!

My question is as this is the first time out can you experienced RVers give us any tips as to what equipment is needed. I know that the dealer is giving us a starter kit that they say will get us going and I have picked up a few items like jack pads, water regulator, wheel chocks.

What else should we have with us for a functioning RV? Will the starter kit be enough or do we need to add more items or upgrade the kit? Just want to be reasonably prepared so we have an enjoyable maiden voyage.

Thanks in advance,

Ian and Miyra

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Congratulations on your new RV...hope you have many fun-filled camping trips.The starter kit is pretty basic and you will add to it as you go, just be sure you have a goodsewer hose (we like the Rhino) and a support for it,holding tank treatment, water hose for fresh water (we carry a second hose and use it only for flushing the black tank and sewer fititngs) , pressure regulator,leveling blocks and chocks for the wheels and an assortment of hand tools for minor repairs. A clear 45-degree adapter for the sewer outlet is also nice to have.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
New Camper

Go to a home improvement store and buy a basic home owner's tool kit. I use that more than anything else! Also, Linx leveling blocks are great to have.

atwardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Do not forget the Beer

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Just a quick tip. Always keep your black tank closed until your ready to dump. Grey tanks are open while camping and I close them thenight before dumping the black tank. Dump black tank. Then close the black tank and flush hose with grey tanks to clean hose. If you don't have the factory black tank cleaner. Fill black tank a couple or times and flush or buy a cleaning wand to stick down in the toliet to help clean. Lots to learn along the way. This is a great place to ask the questions. Have fun and congrats.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Am guessing the starter kit will probably have only one sewer hose and it will be too short, one never knows what one will face at a campground, whether it'll not be enough hose or enough shore power cable ... I priced a 15' extension for 50 amp, 100$ ouch. Hope all works out well for you, be ready to make minor adjustments and be flexible. Congrats on new trailer.

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Surge protector. I use a Surge Guard portable. As you can see from my signature line we use our Cruiser a lot and are always plugged into shore power. Where we are now in north Texas we can have sudden electrical storms and surges. One unprotected surge can fry the RV's electrical system and possibly worse.
We also use a portable water filter, the kind available from Wal-Mart for $17.99. Maybe it does not do much but it provides some measure of peace of mind. BTW: We NEVER drink campground water. I realize that many people probably do but we do not. We by bottled water, litre size for everyday drinking and gallons for Keureg, etc.
I carry extra 12 volt fuses plus an extra hot water heater drain plug. Also have a wand to clean out the hot water heater. A small inside the refrigerator battery powered fan helps enormously on our very hot Texas summer days.
You might want to invest in vent covers for the roof. These will permit you to keep the roof vents open during the rain.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Make the first camping trip close to home, like in your driveway. It won't teach you about black water procedures but you can learn about everything else. Hook up to city water, drain gray water onto yard, shower in the rv, cook, and sleep there. Only allowed in the house in an emergency or bathroom trips. Have your paper ready to make the lists of what you need... It's very informative...
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Congrats...as others have said...make your first trip close to home and maybe a Walmart as you will always forget something. Even after all of these years camping I still find myself making a list of items to re-stock or something I seen in another campsite that would make life easier....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Get lots of that stuff you use to line cabinet shelves and drawers to keep things from sliding around. Once you're rolling, nothing stays put in a trailer unless it's screwed down or sitting on top of the shelf-lining material.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

And grab a roll or two of plumber's tape -- that white stuff you can wrap around threads as you screw plumbing fittings together. It comes in very handy (on our first trip, we realized the metal hot water drain plug was screwed into the metal fitting without benefit of that stuff and it was leaking like crazy. Hello, Wal-Mart!) Also, a roll of duct tape.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

As far as stuff for inside the trailer such as kitchen items (Glasses, dishes, etc.) The dollar store is a wonderful place. Garage sales are good too. As others have said, pencil and paper to write down what you wish you had brought with. Flashlights and batteries are a must. Welcome to the world of RV'ing. It's very addicting. Maybe we'll cross paths some day.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Thanks to everyone for the great advice so far.....keep it coming.
1st item on the list was the beer check. I did pick up a rhino sewer hose and hopefully 15ft should be long enough. Always carry tools and duct tape in the truck and we will be about 1 hour from home but in a full service park about 15 min from the Canadian Tire and Home Depot. We plan to start a journal to keep in the unit to write down all thing about our journeys so in 10 years or so the first entries should be an interesting read!
We've been picking up dishes etc from the local Value village and have some of the non slide to put on all drawers and shelves in the kitchen. Have to pick up another hose and nozzle that is not for drinking water and it will probably be one of those self coilers I've seen in some of the post about mods. Will be picking up some thread sealer as well just in case. Have already had some Maxxair vent covers installed as well as a slide awing so that is covered!
Whew lots to learn and lots to think about on the first trip but keep em coming as we need all the help we can get

Ian and Miyra

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher
One of the keys to fun RV'ing is to be organized. Get 4 large plastic containers to put in your outside compartment. Label one sewer, one hoses, one electrical and one misc. Organize accordingly. In your sewer bin, but your sewer hose - I have one long for campsite and one short for dump station. Also a short water hose to use for cleanup and black tank flush. NEVER use that hose for drinking water. Also latex gloves are handy to have. Put all your water hoses and gadgets in one bin. Put all your lights, extension cords and main power cord in one. THe last can be odds and ends. This way, you aren't digging around for stuff all jammed up in your compartment. Good luck!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote