Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

It's been 3 weeks since we got our 2013 Crossroads Hill Country. We have been towing it with a 2010 Chevy Tahoe with no problems. Yesterday I thought I would try hooking it up to my 2006 f150 King Ranch. As I was hooking up I noticed the hitch kept getting closer and closer to the ground unlike the Tahoe. The front jack was all the way up and the hitch itself was about 6-8 inches off the ground unlike the Tahoe and there was a significant v-shape between the truck and the trailer. For the record I didn't complete the hook up. For some reason this doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the truck should be able to handle it and there should be little of no bend between the truck and the trailer. I also noticed on the bumper that it says max tongue weight is 500lbs. Is my thinking crazy?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Dave;

The 500 lb is strictly for the bumper and not a receiver hitch.
I was looking for some wgt info to compare and not knowing the exact specs on your vehicles I found that both vehciles are close: ford06 tahoe 09
gawr 3850 32-4100 lbs
gvwr 7050 7100
gcwr 14000 10000 except in gcwr.
I know this info differs greatly depending on the specifics of each of your vehicles. Did you have the weight distribution hitch on the truck? This info was a quickie google search.If you can post the exact numbers on both vehicles and the trailer I'm sure someone will show up that can give you more help.

2012 King Ranch,F350,CC,SRW,

LWB,FX4,6.7 Diesel

2012 CR Cruiser 330SS

God Bless

https://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/...ictures005.jpg
Traveling Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I believe the max tongue weight label you mentioned is for the bumper and ball, not with a weight dist hitch. My label was the same on my 2001 2500HD but it went on to mention Weight Dist Hitch. Sounds like your truck springs are softer than the Tahoe. Look at the door labels and compare them for weight capacities.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Not sure what numbers you need but the TT weighs 5630lbs at 26ft. From what I have been told it is a step above a Zinger. I believe we have a WD since there are two bars that extend from the hitch and attached to the TT. (Sorry dont have the paperwork with me.) The problem I am having is determining the size of the engine for the f150, if its a 4.6 or 5.4. I do have 20 inch rims so that makes me "think" I have the 5.4L. The certification sticker is GVW is 7050, that is of course if I am reading it right. Using the 8th number/letter from the VIN its the number 5. Again based on what I have read that means my engine is SOHC.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

You need to look at the available payload for each vehicle (sticker inside drivers door) from that you subtract the weight of all cargo and occupants. If your tongue weight is over your available payload you will never get your WDH dialed in well enough to handle the sag. The other thing could also be related to your suspension. Some will install airbags to help with sag. Most important in fixing that "V" is proper adjustment of the WDH. Without finishing the hook up process you don't know where you will truly stand.Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote