Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

We just returned from the Grand Rapids, MI RV show.

Had our two grandsons in tow (ages 6 & 3) and they had a grand time climbing in and out of all the units for about two hours. Our Sunset Trail is only 3 years old and we're not looking to replace it, but a few observations from casual lookers.

The current Sunset Trail lineup. Wow, did they ever cheapen this once great bargain. Our unit is nothing like the current Sunset Trail. This is obvously a lighter cheaper model.

The Cruiser CTX lineup. Seemed oddly familiar as it is pretty much what our 2008 Sunset Trail is. Seemed like an outstanding value compared to the other models we saw.

Cruiser. Went and looked at 3 Cruiser 5er floor plans and we were disappointed. At 6'1" I would have a real problem with the lack of head room in the bed room. Huge turn off.

Rushmore. Saw two from the outside. Looked pretty. Grandson's acted up so did not have an opportunity to look at them.

Mountaineer. Missed this for the same reason.

Montana. I can see why it is the number one model with full timers (my empirical take on 5ers insured in my neck of the woods). Solid. Good design. Well appointed. Seemed like a tremendous value at it's price point, much like the current CTX is at it's price point.

Mobile Suites. Wow. Jaw dropping awe. Beautiful. Quality through out. My vocabulary doesn't have enough superlatives to describe it. Let's just say we loved it - but I never looked at the price tag either. Like I said, casual lookers.

If I was looking at spending some real green backs I might view some of these units differently, but both the CTX and the Montana would be considered good values at their price point. YMMV.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

we are hoping to soon have a buyer for our PP, then were moving up to a mobile suite, it's a beautiful unit....hopefully within the next few months......I have no interest in full time but at this point in my life I figure I am entitled to something really nice...LOL.........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

St. Louis

Attendance, dealers,and number of units on display all appear to be down significantly from even last year. Even fewer campground/resort type exhibitors.

There was a good variety of different types to look at but a very limited number of Manufacturers. Thor units seemed to be the predominate maker for towables.

As usual for St. Louis, no representation by Cross Roads.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
New Camper

Papa2, thanks for the report. I'm curious what you thought about the new Cruisers other than the bedroom height. Did you tour any of the Patriot models? Interesting take on the Montana - my wife and I ride our tandem bicycle through a number of RV parks each week and we spot more Montana's than any other model.

Regards,

Mark...
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

My take on the Montana's is they are terribly inconsistent in quality. We have seen many, many Montana's at shows and half of them are built/finished well the other half look like a 3 year old had a pneumatic gun and went wild.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauman
Papa2, thanks for the report. I'm curious what you thought about the new Cruisers other than the bedroom height. Did you tour any of the Patriot models? Interesting take on the Montana - my wife and I ride our tandem bicycle through a number of RV parks each week and we spot more Montana's than any other model.

Regards,

Mark...

From one tandem rider to another ... not many of us out there.

Didn't see the Patriot. Other than the bedroom height issue the Cruisers seemed to be well made with efficient floor plans. As a casual looker this is what I key on when I look at different models. I can certainly see why they're popular in the Crossroads lineup.

I haven't looked at alot of 5ers. This is the first year I've looked at the Cruisers. In the past 10 years I've probably seen 8 or 9 Mountaineers and a dozen Montanas. This was the first Mobile Suite I'd been in. I have never noticed the construction issues MWebber points out. Both the Mountaineers and Montanas I've seen have been well made with none of the construction issues he noted. The Mountaineers and Cruisers are close.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Went to Tampa last week--looked at a lot of units, didnt go in a Montana. Most Montana owners love their rig however every once in a while there seems to be a Montana unit with all kinds of problems. I find it puzzeling that most are fine and one or two that I have heard about have one problem after another. Anyhow back to the show ended up ordering a 11 Patriot 305SK. Will pick it up in a few weeks---may have touse it in late Feb or Early March in the Midwest.I hope (& think) it will dofine in the cold weather.Please tell me it'll stay warm and dry.

Flyone
Flyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Congratulations on the Patriot! I"m sure you'll be fine in most Midwest winter weather.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

My DH and I went to the RV show in Toronto, Ontario today and of course we were very curious about some of the newer Crossroads models. Crossroads was very well represented at this show (same dealer that we bought our fifth wheel from) and their display included the new Rushmore RF34SB 5th Wheel model. We were under the impression that the Rushmore was to replace the Kingston but were told today that it's the Seville (not sure which model) that it is eventually replacing The exterior of this model of Rushmore is gorgeous but we didn't find that the interior warranted the high price tag. The Seville is much nicer.

They did have the Cruiser CF 335 SS and that model had a much nicer layout with a good size island in the kitchen. A much better deal than the above-mentioned model of Rushmore.

We have the earlier model 2011 30SKP and compared the newer model with ours.

Noted differences:

The carpeting is more attractive and someone at Crossroads is "listening"....there's a little less carpet in the kitchen area The flooring color is dark and beautiful. Another improvement for sure.
The curtains now hang straight down with a tiny rod on each side to gather and hold the bottom of the curtains in place. What a great idea!!! I don't know about the rest of you but my shades often get caught in the tiebacks when pulling them down.

Although the flush floor in the bedroom is nice, my husband still had to bend down near the closets so not much benefit there (he's 6'). I also didn't like the wood look in the headboard area. They've take out the window from there and added one on each side instead. I prefer the look of ours.

The clock above the entry door is gone...why is that? There's also less space in the cupboards above the sofa.

Intelli-jacks are now standard....that's a great feature that we don't have.

Lastly I believe that the spring pins on the front landing gear are now standard as well.

Hope this helps for those interested in this model.

Edited by: orchid_57

Aline, David and our Golden (Jackson)

2011 Crossroads Cruiser 30SKP

2007 Chev Silverado Duramax Diesel

orchid_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Went to RV show in Virginia Beach and DW fell in love with

2011 Open Range with 3 seat couch. Didn't buy one but

Loved looking....

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA