Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
New Camper

3 dome lights not working in slide out, trouble shoot???

we have a 2016 Crossroads Rezerve 31bh. it's currently in storage and while i was up there last weekend i noticed that 3 of the dome lights are not working. the lights over the couch in the slide out, 1/2 of the dome lights over the dinette and the dome lights over the kitchen sink are not working. i checked the fuses, replaced the LED bulbs with ones that i know work.

i say that 1/2 half of the lights over the dinette work because one side of the dome works, the other half does not.

checked the light switches, fuses, everything that i can think of but still no answer. frustrating!

anyone have any ideas of what to try next? dealer says it will take forever to get it in there just to check it out.

i know it's gotta be something simple just don't know enough to trouble shoot it.
sam.y00nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Check GFI outlets.
Have you recently driven in wet weather?
Man, this is a 2016? What's up with quality these days?

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

There is usually a GFI outlet that runs multiple lights and plugs not sure where yours is located. most have one in the bathroom
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
Site Team

Not sure that GFI has anything to do with 12V lights.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

The GFI is 120 V AC and the LED lights are 12V DC, so they are unrelated. If you have a double fixture with only 1/2 working, then either the bulb is making poor contact in the socket or the fixture has a defective connection to the switch located on it (since generally a single switch on the fixture controls both bulbs) or the ground side for that single bulb is defective (in either case, positive or ground, the fixture would need to be replaced). If other lights are affected, I would remove each fixture and check for loose connections on the backside. If you can guess the order in which the fixtures receive power, I would start with the last working fixture, a loose connection there will affect lights downstream. If all of the lights in the slide out are not working, then you might check the 12 V DC power and ground lines under the slide out.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Some of my dome lights are controlled with two switches, one on the light and a wall switch. Double check that both are switched on.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I too believe that the gfi's are the first place to check.
However, Usually the outlets in the slide outs are powered by a extension type sj cord.
They have long springs to keep tension on them when pulled in or traveling.
When extended, the springs still pull on the cord pretty hard and you could have one that's pulled on enough to break proper contact.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Site Team

Outlets weren't the problem mentioned by the op, lights were.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

As stated earlier , GFI's are only for 110v (electric) plugs .. All lights are 12v (battery).
My guess would be bad connections in the fixtures ,especially the double lamp that only has one side working. Take them down from the ceiling and check for loose connections. hopefully ,no moisture problems there.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I was half asleep when I read and posted this morning.your lights have nothing with gfi's It is more than likely a loose conection. It is possible a wire got pinched in the slide. Do you notice if the lights working are dim or bright. Could be battery issue
Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Team

You mentioned LEDs. Did you flip them over to change the polarity? LEDs will work plugged in one way, but not the other.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
New Camper

thanks for the responses. so this is what i did, i removed the fixture over the dinette, the one for which 1 light works the other doesn't. i disconnected the wires from the back of the dome light so that left me with two sets of wires. they aren't labeled positive and negative but one is orange and one is white with an orange stripe. i connected up two 12v light bulbs to each pair of wires. so the set up is now this: one bulb is connected to one pair of wires, and one bulb is connected to the other pair of wires. same situation, one bulb works, the other doesn't. the dome lights over the couch and the dome lights over the sink still don't work.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
New Camper

the LED lights only go in one way. the LEDs are attached to a board on one side only so it's pretty obvious if they were put in the wrong way.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

The 2 sets of wires should be the feed from the fuse box and the other set should go on to the next light fixture. The double bulb fixtures will either have 2 or 4 wires coming from them. What color wires come out of the fixture. Do you have a 12v test light. Hook the pigtail to a known ground eg trailer frame and check both wires to see which one is hot eg turns the light bulb in the tester on when you find that connect the appropriate colors together and go to the next fixture and check again. Until you have power to all fixtures. Once you do that you may find bad bulbs or bad fixtures
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

x2, one set of wires should be from power source. the other set will continue on to the next light and so on. sounds like the wires are using the light fixture to connect everything. the fixture may be defective. try hooking the 2 orange and one from the light together and 2 white with orange and the other from the light together. worse comes to worse,the fuse will blow.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
New Camper

thanks for all the responses. i figured it out with some help from on online RV mechanic. took a chance on one of those "pay some money to have your question answered" sites. well it was worth it. spent 30 bucks to email a technician and then was able to call him and he walked me through everything. the fixture was bad but when i removed it to investigate the problem i didn't realize the lights were wired in series so hooking up two separate lights on the two sets of wires resulted in a break in the circuit. all good now though. if anyone wants to know about the site i used PM me and i'll give you the info. not sure if they allow that kind of info in posts.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Kinda sounds like Harley and Woodwalker gave you similar advice. Sometimes I guess it's better to walk through it, one step at a time.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v lights, interior lights, lights not working