Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
JPT
Weekend Camper

32QB Water Heater

I bought a new Zinger 32QB last fall that was winterized. I'm taking it out for the first time this weekend. I filled the water tank, turned on the pump, and drained the antifreeze through all the faucets. I then opened up the valve to the water heater, but I did not hear water rushing to the tank. I pulled the drain plug and no water drained out. I'm hoping it's not a kinked line. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
JPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Did you change the position on the valves for use instead of winterization?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
JPT
Weekend Camper

Yes, I believe so. There are two valves by the water pump. One was in the shut position and the other in the open position. The one in the open position was attached to the suction hose. I closed that to allow water to flow to the faucets. After I cleared the lines of antifreeze, I opened the other valve which I assume is the water heater bypass valve.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

You should have either an inlet and outlet valve to and from the water heater and a bypass valve, or an inlet valve with a check valve on the outlet of the water heater and a bypass valve. The inlet and outlet valves should be in the open position and the bypass valve should be closed. You might try opening the relief valve on the water heater (located outside behind the water heater panel, it will likely be a brass relief valve with a manual lift handle) to vent air out of the water heater as it fills up. It could be air bound. Once you get water out the relief valve, close it back off. You definitely need to be sure the water heater tank is full before you turn the water heater on.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
JPT
Weekend Camper

I only find what appears to be a bypass valve. I will try the relief valve on Friday. Unfortunately, that's the next time I can work on it. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully, it is something as simple as an air lock.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Site Team

The valves next to the water pump has nothing to do with the hot water heater bypass. Near the hot water heater is a panel or something that you access the hot water heater by pass valves. Bottom valve should be open to the HW heater and the valve between the top and bottom line should be closed.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
JPT
Weekend Camper

I could not find any kind of access panel near the water heater. I searched and searched. I called the dealership today and they could not tell me the exact location of the bypass valve. The person I spoke to said something to the effect that "it's usually...".
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Team

There should be access to the heater on the inside of your trailer, exactly in line with the door on the outside for the water heater.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
JPT
Weekend Camper

That's what I thought, but I searched and could not find one. I'll search again. It baffles me that the owner's manual does not specify the location.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
JPT
Weekend Camper

And that the dealership service department could not tell me the exact location.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
Site Team

By looking at pictures and the floor plan, look around the wardrobe. If I lined everything up right the hot water heater access should be in there somewhere.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPT View Post
That's what I thought, but I searched and could not find one. I'll search again. It baffles me that the owner's manual does not specify the location.
There is a good chance that there will be some screws you have to take out to remove the panel. It probably won't be a door, although it could be. As Lloyd said, find the water heater cover on the outside of the trailer, and the panel on the inside will be on the back side of the water heater in line with where that cover is on the outside. If you haven't seen your water heater on the inside yet, you probably haven't seen the bypass valve. They will typically be near the water heater itself.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
JPT
Weekend Camper

I just emailed my salesperson. He said he would check with the service department tomorrow. I looked everywhere I could think of in the front bedroom, including the closets and under the bed. I could find no access panel. Hopefully, my salesman comes through. Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

A box next to the bed perhaps. May have a lid held in place with screws.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Your water heater is accessed thru a removable panel directly under the bedroom wardrobe/drawers. The valve in the line between hot/cold should be closed, and the one in the cold line running into water heater should be open.

There are 4 screws in the blank panel. I took ours off and only put 2 back in. Sorry - no pic handy.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I left my screws out as it sits in a recess. Been meaning to put a drawer pull or knob on it to make it easier to lift out.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
JPT
Weekend Camper

Thanks for everyone's help! I had my brother open the bottom drawer and he says he can see hoses and at least one valve. I'll take care of it tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
JPT
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Your water heater is accessed thru a removable panel directly under the bedroom wardrobe/drawers. The valve in the line between hot/cold should be closed, and the one in the cold line running into water heater should be open.

There are 4 screws in the blank panel. I took ours off and only put 2 back in. Sorry - no pic handy.
Thanks again for your help. I have another question. There are two valves under the stove. One is for the "suction" hose. I turned that off so I would get water and not air running through the faucets. Do you know what the other is? It was turned off and I turned it on thinking it was the water heater bypass valve. Now I'm not sure if I should leave it on?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

If the hose you found connects the hot water (top of heater) to cold water (bottom of heater) it must be closed for normal operation.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

What Jason said. Also, we took out the plywood divider and stowed it behind one of the bench drawers. Taking plywood out makes cabinet usable! That cabinet is a nice place for antifreeze bottle and RV paperwork. We also put our dish drainer in there when not in use.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater