Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 01:27 AM   #1
New Camper

50 amp plug with 20 amp female plug

Hi, I am wondering if I can plug in my outdoor full fridge to a 50 amp plug. I need it to be connected to 20 amp female plug. I read I shouldn't use a 15 amp for a fridge, needs to be 20 because of the spiking that fridges have. We have a 30 amp rv and that is already plugged in. There is another plug on our site that's 50 amp and I need it to withstand the snow. Any help here is appreciated. I Don't want to break my fridge.
millbabe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Team

This article tells you details of what you need.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-311192.html

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:20 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

50 amp plug with 20 amp female plug

Just wondering is this fridge outside just a fridge like in your house. If so why does it need a 20 amp plug. Every fridge in our houses just runs off of a fifteen amp breaker. The problem with running your fridge off of that 50 amp receptacle going down to 20 amp receptacle is that if there is ever a problem with your fridge it will never ever trip the breaker that feeds that 50 amp receptacle. Most rv campgrounds will have a 15, 30, and 50 amp receptacles at the plug in at each site. If you can find a 15amp circuit somewhere it will be sufficient. Oh also I have been a licenced Electrician for 40 years..
Bc, Canada
Crossroad Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
Site Team

By out door refrigerator do you mean a refrigerator like you would have in a house but it is sitting outside of your camper? Why do you not just use the outside 110 plug on the side of the camper? It should be a GFCI plug.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Yes it is OK
A fixture (Load) (Appliance) only draws the amount of current required.
If it is rated to draw 18 Amps that is all it will draw under normal circumstances. A fault is a different situation.
An 18 Amp fridge needs to be supplied with a slightly higher circuit (20 Amps) due to the amount of current the fridge draws when it first starts. This is normal.

The rest is all ok under normal circumstances.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

It can be generally assumed - tongue in cheek - that any residential refrigerator will run on 15A. You have to understand start up v. running current draw. Any appliance takes momentarily higher current to start cycling if it has a motor, compressor, or any other high current draw. If other high load appliances are operating - AC, Furnace, water heater on elec., fireplace, and etc. then you will draw down the 50A total supplied to the site power pedestal. So long as total current used by all operating appliance at the same time is below the current supplied to the pedestal (50, 30, 20, or 15A) all appliances should operate properly. It's knowing what the pedestal truly has as supply, what your TT requires to function at peak usage, and what others in the park are consuming off of the line that supplies your pedestal. When summer peaks there is generally not enough power in a Campground to supply the entire park when everyone is running AC, fridges are maxed, fans are running, and everyone is operating an outdoor fridge.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Mill
When I owned a 30 amp camper I carried a 20amp fifty foot extension cord...I did so because when the DW was using the bathroom outlet and I had an electric hot plate pluged into the receptacle outside it would pop the breaker, so I would plug the hot plate directly into the campground pedestal...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote