Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

Continuous Current Rating

The continuous current rating of a circuit breaker is defined by the National Electrical Manufacturers

Association (NEMA) as: “The maximum direct current or rms current, in amperes, at rated frequency

which a device or assembly will carry continuously without exceeding the specified limits of observable

temperature rise.� Sometimes referred to as the ampere rating or handle rating of the circuit breaker,

the continuous current rating relates to the system current flow under normal conditions.

UL Standard 489 states that circuit breakers must carry 100% of their continuous current rating

indefinitely (without tripping) at 104° F (40° C) in free air. QOU circuit breakers should be applied, per

the NEC, to carry 80% of their continuous current ratings in the intended enclosure. The continuous

current rating is indicated on the handle of each circuit breaker. See Table 1.

The above is quoted from the following link for a Square D Circuit Breaker Catalog (Underlines & bold font are mine):
http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Circuit%20Protection/Miniature%20Circuit%20Breakers/QOU%20Miniature%20Circuit%20Breakers/0720CT9401R105.pdf.

Edited by: GaPete

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Correct me if I'm wrong but I see a problem. With a 50-30 adapter you now have a 30A cable (10ga usually) tied to a 50A breaker. If the inside box doesn't have a master 30A breaker there could be problems.

Also a question. When wiring the power boxes are the 30 and 20 sockets on the same leg?

I never had all these thoughts and questions until I got a trailer with 50A wiring.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

Clif,
I agree, those are valid concerns. However, it is somewhat like pluging a 16 AWG extension cord into a 20A outlet. Common sense on the user's part is required. If the camper breaker is in fact 30 amps, it should provide protection to the camper and in turn to the power cable.

As for how the 30/20 is wired, I would bet if you checked 10 campgrounds you would have some with 240v between them and some with 0v between them....just my thoughts. Probably has a lot to do with who laid them out and wired them.

Hopefully someone with experience in wiring campgrounds will pitch in with what is commonly done.

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

Ussually the 30 and 20 amp are different lines, not always. I have been to camp grounds where both types are present. If the box installed is pre wired the jumpers will be for using seperate legs for the 30 and 20 amp circuts.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote