Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a 2009 CF30SK Partiot and it seems that our insurance costs on it are out of control. We have our home, car, truck & 5erinsured with American Family and have been with them for nearly 30 years. Our yearly premiums are nearly $840 for $500 deductable comprehensive and $500 deductable collision. Is this in the ball park or over the fence? Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations ?

jjriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Site Team

We have Progressive. Payed the premium in Mar. $312.00 --- $250. Deductible for comp. and coll. We have total loss replacement/purchase price----replacement for personal $3000 There are other misc. things on there also.
I would suggest that you do some shopping around.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

No harm in shopping around but...

I won't go into my annual lecture on insurance (curse of being an insurance agent) but please remember that there are many variables that affect the final premium. You mentioned one in your original post...multiple policy discounts. Each state is different, each zip code is different. Your insurance score is probably different from mine and your neighbors so all three of us could have a different premium on the same 5er.

Here in Michigan your personal auto insurer is probably your best option for most scenarios. Someone like Good Sam or Foremost is probably a better option for full timers. We have access to the company Old Farmer mentioned. Use them all the time for motor homes. I can't ever recall putting a 5er or travel trailer with them.

When you shop keep in mind you may have to consider moving your automobile and homeowners polices as well. Insuring travel trailers is not a way to profits for most companies so they insure them as an accommodation for their customers who have their autos and/or homes insured with them. Translated, they may refuse to insure a travel trailer/5er only.

Watch the coverage and be sure you get what you want. Most auto insurers do not provide replacement cost coverage. Some may not provide contents coverage. Check to see if your homeowners policy will extend coverage to personal property in your unit ... and whether it extends coverage only while you're camping in it or all the time. If you have it permanently parked you not only need to verify the 5er and contents are covered, but you will want to be sure to extend liability coverage from your homeowners policy.

You may be able to reduce costs by simply putting comprehensive (storage) coverage on the 5er when it is parked. If financed you will need permission from your lender.

Good luck!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Progressive $493.00 ---- $0 Deductible for Comp & Collision. Total Loss Replacement / Purchase Price. Replacement of Personal Effects $3000. Vacation Liability $100,000.

We also have a Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund Assessment that adds about $5.00 to the premium. (just a small tax to pay to live in paradise that is added toEVERYproperty loss insurance policy sold in the state)

They even throw in pet insurance at no cost which covers up to $1,000 vet costs anddeath benefit if it dies inside your camper.

This is the only policy I have with Progressive.Edited by: BDLuke
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Just for kicks I looked up my premium on my Sunset Trail......$68.71/year. Ran a Progressive quote and had to use a higher deductible....$231/year. But each state, each person and each unit is different.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We got a free membership to route66 when we purchased our 5er.they directed us to RV America here is a link
http://www.rv-insurance-coverage.com/
They asked for our info on the RV and coverage we desired and gave us the best quote available from several companies. They were very easy to work with our policy is from National Interstate our premium is $264 per year.included in policy are awning replacement,$500 deductible on collision or other than collision,emergency vacation expense, $2000 personal effects,Total loss replacement,Vacation liability,and in addition adds towing for all my vehicles. The long and short of it is how much deductible you want?what you want for personal coverage for yourself,your belongings,and your vehicle?I like to let a broker find the best deal,2 reasons
1.I do not like calling several agents or companies and giving them all the same information over and over.
2.If I have a dispute with the insurance company in the future i have another person in my corner when I argue with them

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote