Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

5th wheel hitch

We just purchased a 5th wheel and need to by a hitch for my truck with a 6 1/2 ft bed. I have done quite a bit of research and the Andersen Ultimate hitch really intrigues me. It seems to have good reviews. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has one and what was there experience with it?
BF534FB2-4463-48BE-90A1-98CCB5BF1C67.jpeg
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
We just purchased a 5th wheel and need to by a hitch for my truck with a 6 1/2 ft bed. I have done quite a bit of research and the Andersen Ultimate hitch really intrigues me. It seems to have good reviews. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has one and what was there experience with it?
Attachment 4767
Not to rain on your parade, but youll need the lightest hitch you can find if putting a 30'+ 10k lb 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton truck. That pin weight will be as much as 2300 lbs, what's the payload of your truck posted on the drivers door post?
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Texan he asked about the hitch not about the trucks ability or payload. If you have any information on that hitch please let him know.

The main draw back i see is having to raise the kingpin up and over the ball. With a 5th wheel type you take some weight off the truck then pull out. A plus is the weight if you have to remove it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but youll need the lightest hitch you can find if putting a 30'+ 10k lb 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton truck. That pin weight will be as much as 2300 lbs, what's the payload of your truck posted on the drivers door post?
TT I appreciate your input but that was not my question. I asked for input from people who use or have used the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I have been pulling campers for over 25 years and worked in the trucking industry as a technician for over 30 years and I know what my and my vehicles limitations are.
The dry pin weight on my unit is 1284 lbs. The dry weight of the unit is 7346 lbs. we do not haul water or gold bricks with us so I think we will be fine.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Sorry!
Was concerned with you & your families safety & all others on the highway next to you towing so overloaded.
Also unless you were the delivery guy that brought that rv from the factory to your dealer you never have nor never will tow it near that dry weight.

To answer the hitch question, a 10k lb 5th wheel hammering down on a 35 lb hitch on the wonderful highways across this great country just does not compute in my little pea brain!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

scott
I have a hitch similar to that, and while shopping for mine checked that Andersen out as well...Light weight so easy to put in and take out and if I remember correctly weight limit on it was 12K...What I really wanted to know is what do you do with your gold bricks if you don't take them with you...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
scott
I have a hitch similar to that, and while shopping for mine checked that Andersen out as well...Light weight so easy to put in and take out and if I remember correctly weight limit on it was 12K...What I really wanted to know is what do you do with your gold bricks if you don't take them with you...
The hitch that I am looking at has a 4500lb pin weight limit and 24000lb load limit capacity.
Sleepy, I don’t have any left after buying the new camper.����
Old 03-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Scott,
I use the steel version of the Anderson Hitch, its the first and only 5th wheel hitch I have ever used. Weights in at 35 lbs, crush rating is massive. Easiest hitch to use. I did add the safety chains as well. Never had an issue, ever.

2019 Cruiser Aire 29Rk & 2017 F250 Lariat 6.7L Diesel 6.75' bed, Anderson Hitch
Max-N-Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-N-Millie View Post
Scott,
I use the steel version of the Anderson Hitch, its the first and only 5th wheel hitch I have ever used. Weights in at 35 lbs, crush rating is massive. Easiest hitch to use. I did add the safety chains as well. Never had an issue, ever.
Thank you for the feedback.
I see in your signature that you have Sumo Springs and the RAS. Which one did you have first and why did you add the other? Just curious. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Question - Because it basically changes from a kingpin to ball hitch does it require safety chains like a goose-neck does.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Scott,
I had the RAS first, worked well but I wanted a little more. I went with the sumo springs over air suspension. I just didn't want to deal with having one go down somewhere or dealing with installing a air pump system. Just a choice. Sumo's work awesome and only are effective under load. While driving Truck with out camper suspension works as normal.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Missed the last part of your question....
I added because our infrastructure is way past due for repair. They simply solved the issue of some unwanted bounce. I have very little to no chucking with the Anderson hitch and it is very quiet while under way. My steel version attaches to rails like the other 5th wheel hitch's do.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #13
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Question - Because it basically changes from a kingpin to ball hitch does it require safety chains like a goose-neck does.
Think you'd need to check the laws in your state.
Fairly certain in Texas safety chains ARE required for any ball type hitch.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #14
Site Team

Scott, do you by any chance know what the true height of the trailer is? Not the advertised height.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Scott, do you by any chance know what the true height of the trailer is? Not the advertised height.
Lloyd, I do not know the true overall height yet, we have not brought the unit home yet. I am waiting until the roads are clear of any snow and salt. I will pick it up in April sometime then I will measure the “true” height and get back to you. My storage building where I kept our Sunset Trail has a 12 ft tall door and the advertised height on the new rig is 12’5” . I just ordered a 15 ft x 35 ft metal RV port for the new trailer last week similar to the picture.

1538357F-BBEB-4457-A334-1D309C7F150E.jpg
Old 03-03-2021, 05:47 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Lloyd, I do not know the true overall height yet, we have not brought the unit home yet. I am waiting until the roads are clear of any snow and salt. I will pick it up in April sometime then I will measure the “true” height and get back to you. My storage building where I kept our Sunset Trail has a 12 ft tall door and the advertised height on the new rig is 12’5” . I just ordered a 15 ft x 35 ft metal RV port for the new trailer last week similar to the picture.

Attachment 4769

Great advice here already. I have a 14+ K 37 foot Toy hauler now and the AUH is great. Can’t go wrong with this hitch. If you torque the 4 bolts to spec you’ll won’t have issues you be may of read about. I just responded on another forum to a guy who disfigured his hitch post not being mindful of the torque specs.

Easy to install and remove. I did buy their bed shaft for better fit and contact and is actually less expensing than the traditional gooseneck ball. It’s also aluminum and has a spring-loaded ball lock that can get feisty if you don’t remove it every few months and give it a cleaning. I assume it’s the whole aluminum to steel contact and water gets in there. I’ve got the safety chain setup they sell too. Regardless of state law, I'm just more comfortable having them. You’ll want to get a pad underneath the hitch. They now sell they’re own now for something like $100 however in the past their customer service suggested a horse stall pad with a hole cut in the center. Costs about $35 at the farm supply. It protects the bed as the hitch has a tendency to try to turn under load. The pad cinchs that up and keeps from scratching up your bed.

My only issue is not my hitch but my actual trailer height and goosneck to bed rail and front cap clearance. I’ve got a 17 super duty SB and want more clearance since we off-road and boondock mostly, as we've got to make sharper turns to get in and out of places now on very uneven surfaces. We’re actually going to move to an auto slider and new cushioned pin box when I pull the trailer out of storage in a couple weeks so oddly I am recommending but also selling my AUH, reasons totally unrelated to the hitch. I only mention because I don't want someone reading this as a glowing recommendation and a few weeks later see me listing it in the classifieds!

My only question is, since you have a concern on weight, have you looked into swapping out the factory pin box for a gooseneck setup up? Your essentially not adding any weight other than the turnover ball in the bed. You'd be looking at about a grand for the whole thing and you have no hitch to deal with. Just the gooseneck and turnover ball.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Mark, thanks for the review of the Andersen hitch it is very helpful. I ordered the B&W turnover ball kit and will be installing it in the next week or two. After that I will most likely move forward and purchase the hitch and along with the safety chains.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:28 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Mark, thanks for the review of the Andersen hitch it is very helpful. I ordered the B&W turnover ball kit and will be installing it in the next week or two. After that I will most likely move forward and purchase the hitch and along with the safety chains.
Glad to help. I actually edited my post regarding the gooseneck option. Have you considered that?

Old 03-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

I did see that and to be honest I really have not considered that option. I did look on the Andersen website and they do make a raised model that may interest you.
6BA9B252-F24D-431C-B3CF-AF19A2A5BDDE.jpg
Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I did see that and to be honest I really have not considered that option. I did look on the Andersen website and they do make a raised model that may interest you.
Attachment 4771
Actually, the AUH has height adjustments, however the geometry of the length of the unit comes into play. If I raise my hitch, it has a multiplying effect lower the rear of my trailer, creating clearance issues on the rear deck.

I forgot to mention, be careful on the install of the cable. I let my dealer install my hitch originally and they haphazardly installed the cable pull mechanism to close to the connection (which is convenient reach) however you run the risk of catching the cable loop on the ball. I have had a couple close calls and moved it. I've read where someone didn't see the ball catching the cable and broke off the locking mechanism in the head of the receiver. Not cool since this is a factory part you cannot pick up at any RV shop and no way of locking the receiver to tow and yes, your stuck if that happens.