Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
New Camper

A/C usage

We just bought a Crossroads Sunset Trail 29' in March. Now that it is summertime, what's the recommendation on running the A/C when not camping? I set the unit at 85 just to keep our RV at a moderate interior temperature between monthly trips(instead of 104 with no A/C). Is it ok to run A/C daily or just run it a day or two before our next trip?

Thanks
GEORGEnMICHELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Site Team

What amp outlet are you plugged into? I prefer to run my Fantastic Vent instead of A/C. I can be set to any temp, auto on and off and if it rains, it turns off.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
New Camper

I have it plugged into a 20 amp. With the fantastic vent running, what is the inside temp?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I leave it off. Turning in on for a few hrs every few days does nothing for average temp that the trailer experiences. But it really stresses the A/C. Just leave windows open and run the Fantastic Fan.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Team

These rigs sit on dealers lots thru all kinds of weather. You won't find any of them plugged in and the AC running.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for the advice
Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Site Team

Fantastic Fan brings it down to upper 70's I leave a side window open to pull through. It's an awning window so it can stay open in rain.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGEnMICHELLE View Post
I have it plugged into a 20 amp. With the fantastic vent running, what is the inside temp?
Assuming you have a Fantastic Fan model with the thermostat, you might set it around 85-90 degrees. With one or two windows slightly open at the far ends of the trailer, it will keep inside temp close to outside temp during the heat of the day, then shut off after dark. Also assuming it has built in rain sensor, then it will shut off when it rains. If you just have a cheap manual fan, then upgrade to the Fantastic Fan.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I've been letting it run, keeping it at 80 degrees these last few hot, humid months in SC. Plugged into a 30 amp RV outlet in my back yard. The extra electric bill is about $8/mo, and it keeps the unit cool and fresh. We're always out there for one reason or another and usually within 3 weeks of our next trip. AC guys, like one mentioned above, have told me that constant use is easy on the equipment. Easier, at least, than start/stopping.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #10
Site Team

Marty, you must have pretty low electric rates if you can run that AC for $8 a month.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
I've been letting it run, keeping it at 80 degrees. AC guys, like one mentioned above, have told me that constant use is easy on the equipment. Easier, at least, than start/stopping.
Mine is always off and temp is 90 degrees, not sure that 10 degree difference helps extend life of the trailer. And the AC is still going to cycle on and off multiple times each 24 hr period vs being totally off. Few of us use the AC for months at a time during winter months, so what's the diff? Then you have to keep the filter clean as well. But I can understand if you are using the trailer every day.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Marty, you must have pretty low electric rates if you can run that AC for $8 a month.
True, that's about 27 cents per day and around here that's like 2 kWh. With about 12 amps running current that equals about 90 min of operating time per day. In this heat mine would run near 100% from 11am til 9pm.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
It's an imprecise measurement, to be sure. This month's bill was $28 higher because of the heat. I just "guesstimated" 20 for the house, 8 for the TT.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
It's an imprecise measurement, to be sure. This month's bill was $28 higher because of the heat. I just "guesstimated" 20 for the house, 8 for the TT.
Bottom line is you have the AC to make use of the Rv more comfortable. Doesn't matter if it cost $0.27 or $2.00, or if the AC running all the time or repeated cycles, you use it when you need it.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
New Camper

My thoughts exactly, I'll run it as needed for comfort. Just wanted some input, thanks for the advise.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
Gone Traveling

Back when ours was parked about as much as being used & I had it plugged in at the house, I set the thermostat in summer & winter (80 summer, 55 winter) & left the refrigerator running, so if we got wild hare to go for the weekend we were ready.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote