Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

A couple of questions and comments

A few questions from a still somewhat new Sunset Trail 270BH owner after the past trip:

The temps dropped into the upper 20's the other night and upon waking found that the water supply was off. I immediately suspected frozen pipes and turned on the pump for the onboard supply which worked. I assume the water froze at the outside brass connection or in the supply hose, but upon walking around the campground noticed that all water hoses were connected to other RV's. Should I have done anything differently-wrapped the brass fittings, disconnected the fresh water supply, etc?

The temp had hit 70 the prior day but the cold front that moved through predicted wind gusts up to 40. I like to keep the awning out for rain protection as much as sun protection. While I did roll it up, what is the rule for predicted wind and or heavy rain? How many of you use tie down ropes on their awning to protect it against wind damage, or are these false insurance?
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You'll probably get different opinions, but here is what I do. If cold weather is predicted (i.e. below 30) I disconnect the outside hose and put it away. You can wrap the metal fittings but the hose which is lying on the ground can freeze as well. You can let the water drip from a faucet all night to help keep the hose supply from freezing but i believe water is precious and don't like wasting it.

If I am away from the rig the awning always goes up, wind or no wind. I have used the straps and they work pretty good in light winds but again, I put the awning up overnight and whenever I leave the rig for for the day.

It only takes a few minutes to do this and provides peace of mind.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:30 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We are in Florida for the winter and it got down to 27F overnight. We knew it would happen, so we opened the grey tanks and let the water run in the kitchen sink all night (not big stream(. When I got up, the water was still running. This is what they advised us to do here at the park. In the past, we have disconnected the hose and placed it in the shower overnight, but this was a lot easier.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Kingfish58,

For the awning...

I've contacted the manufacturer on this ..and I'm not happy about it either, but he new electric awnings are great but unfortunately you need to roll it up every time you walk away or go inside if there is any wind or chance of wind.

I also have tie down anchors from my last trailer and they said no way.

Seems like they're less useful than than the older manual style, but that's the deal with that scissor mechanism.

Don't have much to add that has alrady been said on the hoses. Anyone try a 110 pipe heater?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
You'll probably get different opinions, but here is what I do. If cold weather is predicted (i.e. below 30) I disconnect the outside hose and put it away. You can wrap the metal fittings but the hose which is lying on the ground can freeze as well. You can let the water drip from a faucet all night to help keep the hose supply from freezing but i believe water is precious and don't like wasting it.

If I am away from the rig the awning always goes up, wind or no wind. I have used the straps and they work pretty good in light winds but again, I put the awning up overnight and whenever I leave the rig for for the day.

It only takes a few minutes to do this and provides peace of mind.

I think Stan pretty much nailed it on everything. Especially about not wasting our precious resource--water.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I think Stan pretty much nailed it on everything. Especially about not wasting our precious resource--water.
X3 4 5 6 7 etc!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Not to repeat what others have said but, we disconnect our hose and drain it if it's going to be close or below freezing. And we always put the awing in if the wind starts to get strong.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote