Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Ok I fixed the rattle I asked about a few days ago and now this. I was warming up something in the microwave when I decided to try the convection setting (first time every). Well the ac seemed to suddenly have a hiccup and then A few minutes later the ac breaker tripped. I reset the breaker and turned the ac back on now it starts up and trips each time after about 30 seconds. I unplugged my shore line and tried to reset, but nothing seems to help.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
Rick in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Team

try unplugging the micro then restart the ac. might work.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Is the ac breaker a stand alone breaker or part of a double pole breaker with the micro on the other pole? I had this on my last camper. the heat buildup from this setup caused breakers to trip. The solution was to move to a stand alone breaker with a space between it and others.

2005 GMC 2500HD D/M crew cab
towhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Ok well I have tried everything. Dam if I can't find my volt meter, must have taken it out by accident and never put it back in. I have shut everything off except the ac and fridge and it has not tripped yet. Connections to the breaker are fine. I will start to turn some things on one by one to see if it trips. It seems sluggish though and lacking power, makes me think the voltage is not high enough. It may be the breaker needs to be replaced. It this a tough job? I could go to Home Depot tomorrow and pick up a new one.

Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Site Team

How about the CG voltage. Does your Rv have a surge protector with readouts?? Cheap meter at harbor freight might help you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

It would be a good idea to get a voltage meter that plugs into an outlet and keep it where you can monitor your shore power. I have found two campgrounds where the voltage was low enough to endanger the well being of the A C unit. It might also be the cause a breaker to trip as I think I remember that low voltage can cause heat at connections.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

No surge protector on my unit. Seems to be working right now for the past 30 minutes. Been careful on what I have been turning on. Then I notice my wife turned in the hot water, which I thought would have tripped the breaker, but didn't. My daughter is watching tv/DVD right now before bed and still good. I have the microwave breaker off. We'll see how the night goes and test things out tomorrow, likely pick up a couple of voltage meters - one plug in and one tester.
I'll post an update in the morning.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

You didn't mention if your trailer has a 30 or 50 amp service. I'm assuming that it is a 30 amp service and if that is the case then you may have to change your loading routine. Sometimes the supply voltage at the campsite is low as previously mentioned, but more often than not, it is the way the power is used. Running the A/C and the Microwave ovencan be enough to trip the main 30A breaker. A/C draws about 16Amps and theMicrowave about 11Amps which is close to the tripping point of the main breaker. If you are using hot water at the same time and runningthe WHon electric, then the main breaker will definitely trip. ie. 16A (A/C) + 11A (M/W) + 11A (WH) = OOOPS ( 30A Main breaker trip)

To minimize the chances of tripping any breakers, we make sure that we aren't using more current than the main breaker can handle. Because the WH, can operate at any time, we run it on gas. If the coffee pot is running and the DW wants to use her hair dryer, the coffee pot gets turned off. Because we have a 30A service in our 5vr, we've hadto make trade-off's when it comes to electricity use.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We have had to do the same before.
Don't use electric water heater when fridge, a/c, stereo etc. is on.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Ok made it through the night and the AC continued to work, but now I made coffee this morning and I have yet to turn the AC on and every time the coffee maker kicks in the fan which I have running - you can hear the fan slow down like its losing power. It speeds up again when the heating element kicks off. Going to try the AC here..................seems to be working. Will monitor today. We have 30 amp. Never had this issue before, but yes it could be the site.
Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Ok came back from the day out and the AC breaker had tripped while we were gone. I guess I'll need to manage until we get back home. See if anything changes she we go to a new site. Frustrating for sure.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Well it keeps happening. I really need to get a multimeter, as it seems to trip when other items are turned on. That said it tripped this afternoon while we were out and there was nothing on except the fridge. It was very hot today - with the humidex - it was about 36 degrees Celsius (about 96 F) may of just over been over worked this afternoon. It cools down a bit tomorrow so we'll see what that brings.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

There's another possibility for the tripping. If you have 2 breakers in a breaker body then that may be why you are having the tripping problem. If your A/C and coffee pot plug aresupplied from a breaker packlike the second from the top in the picture and your supply voltage was low (less 110VAC) which you indicated with the slowing fan, it's conceivable that the current to maintain the required power was elevated. The elevated current will produce more heat in the breaker and bring it nearer to its trip point. Because of the two breakers being in one box, the heat produced from the one is going to affect the other and because the heat can't be dissipated fast enough,one or theotherbreaker will eventually trip.We had this problem, during hot spells, and after several breaker trips, I replaced them as shown in the picture.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Perhaps loose wire nuts like I had. Mine wires melted.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops

There's another possibility for the tripping. If you have 2 breakers in a breaker body then that may be why you are having the tripping problem. If your A/C and coffee pot plug aresupplied from a breaker packlike the second from the top in the picture and your supply voltage was low (less 110VAC) which you indicated with the slowing fan, it's conceivable that the current to maintain the required power was elevated. The elevated current will produce more heat in the breaker and bring it nearer to its trip point. Because of the two breakers being in one box, the heat produced from the one is going to affect the other and because the heat can't be dissipated fast enough,one or theotherbreaker will eventually trip.We had this problem, during hot spells, and after several breaker trips, I replaced them as shown in the picture.

this is what I tried to explain on my first post

Edited by: towhead

Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

No I don't have the two breakers in the breaker body just singles. I did check the wires and all seemed fine. I'm now suspecting the site shore power. We leave this site tomorrow so should have a better idea. If that's not it I will try and replace the breaker, never done this, but will give it a try. It's going to be cooler today so we'll see what happens with the AC not needing to work so hard.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Sorry correct that, I do have the 2 breakers in the breaker body, but the one connected with the AC is the water heater.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

You may want to invest in a surge protector,I know ,,more money but it is money well spent.Ours shut down last weekend in Niagara falls Ontario and was due to high voltage.A lot of our parks have different voltage ranges and this would protect your equipment from power lows or highs.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

If you are using your water heater on electric & the a/c at the same time, I would suggest moving one circuitor the other to another breaker. The twin breakers just do not carry the load as well as a single circuit unit. When you pull out the breakers, check for a discolored bus connection, which usually indicates a loose connection. The spring tension on the breaker bus connector will loose its tension under heating situation and the problem will only get worse.
Like others have pointed out, low supply voltage could cause the problem also. An amperage test would be a good idea if your voltage is normal as an internal a/c problem is a possibility also.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

sounds like you were using too much amperage the first time. When my wife uses the microwave we make sure the A/C is off and the hot water heater is on gas. Certain appliances are power hogs and the one you used is one of those. You do not have much wiggle room with only 30 amps.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote