Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
New Camper

Exclamation AC shorted now no lights

Good evening, I have a 2013 Sahara bunkhouse was plugged into shore power only 30amp. To maintain the battery, accidentally flipped on ac and it shorted out. Now no lights or any power except for the second ac (which was added by dealer), ceiling fan and microwave. I have checked the fuses at the power converter, flipped all off and back on without luck. Is there a another fuse location that i'm not aware of? Thank you for the help.
Rkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
New Camper

I figured out this morning that I have lost one leg of power in the shore power outlet. My question now is how do I retract the slide outs so that I can move my fifth wheel?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Slides can be brought in without shore power. They run off of the 12 volt system using the battery.

Also you mentioned you lost one leg of the shore power. Is that a loss at the post or in your unit? Check other power posts in adjacent sites, you may be able to reach with your power cord to a site who has good power.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
New Camper

This is at my house, the unit was plugged into a 30 amp plug to keep battery charged, ac was accidentally flipped on. Everything ran good until then. Now only ceiling fan and microwave work. I tested the shore plug and only have power to one leg. I’m trying to pack it up so that I can move it to a 50amp outlet at a buddies to make sure nothing else is damaged.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Team

The slides run on 12 volt power so if the battery is good they should close. The leg that you lost may have the converter on it so the battery may be discharged. Depending on what kind of slides you have they can be cranked in manually.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
New Camper

Thank you for the reply, when I get home tonight I’ll look into manually closing then.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
New Camper

If I unplug completely from shore power and the battery is charged. If my lights still don’t come on or slide move is there anything else I should look for? All breakers and fuses are good
Old 05-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

30A single pole shore power through the standard outlet only has 1 leg. While 50A has 2 poles - that's the fourth prong. Please reference below link.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

Perhaps you are only powering one side of your rig on a 30A single pole service. And the items not functioning plus the converter(which also charges battery) are on the unpowered leg.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
New Camper

Joe, thanks for the reply, I would say you’re correct but I’m confused why slides, lights and other things were working until she accidentally flipped on the ac.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
Site Team

First check the battery to be sure it is charged. Then look for a fuse by the battery then check the 12volt side of the converter - the side with the fuses - for power. How long was the power off? Could be the battery is dead.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #11
New Camper

You are correct my battery was dead, replaced it and now I have lights but my power converter popped and started smoking so I guess something was trying to draw off the converter when on batter power. Hopefully I didn’t fry it just the fuses
Old 05-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
New Camper

Check and see if you have power to the fan and light. If no power go to the connection to the trailer and twist the plug clockwise and then see if there is power to fan and light. One leg of power was not connecting on mine until I twisted the plug. Good luck
postal2620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkidd View Post
You are correct my battery was dead, replaced it and now I have lights but my power converter popped and started smoking so I guess something was trying to draw off the converter when on batter power. Hopefully I didn’t fry it just the fuses
I would check to make sure that when you changed batteries you did not hook it up backwards. If you did your converter is toast
Old 06-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Back to your original problem. You say you are "only" plugged into 30 Amp, which others have told you is a single-leg of 120 VAC, not two legs, as a 50 Amp design. Therefore, I'm guessing you are using a 50 to 30 amp "dogbone" adapter. These things work by feeding the single 30 Amp leg to BOTH of your 50 Amp legs. By turning on the AC, you probably burned out the adapter at the point of tie-in. One leg (the other one) continues to feed the second AC. But the Primary, which carries the first AC and the converter, evidently burned right there in the adapter. I also agree that you may have smoked the converter, or at least blew the two 30 amp fuses, by reverse battery installation. In most Crossroads, the black is positive, and the white is negative. (think house power, not car battery colors)
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, electrical, no power