Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
New Camper

Question AC will not come on. Breaker flips

I am a single Mom trying camping on my on. I have a 2006 Crossroad camper that I bought new. My boys and I finally have it at the lake so we can enjoy it.
We were camping and the weather got a little warm. I turned on the AC and nothing. I checked the breaker and the breaker was flipped. Not the main breaker. I am hoping it is just the breaker but I don't know where to find one. Every time I try to flip it to on it will not hold. It just stays off and will not flip to on. The camper heater works fine. What do you think? I am hoping just a breaker went out. What else could it be. Help
Camping Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Put the hot water heater on Gas, than try it. They had both the AC and the Hot water heater on mine. Went to Lowes and got a breaker the same size (2) and split them have not had any more trouble since then
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Put the hot water heater on Gas, than try it. They had both the AC and the Hot water heater on mine. Went to Lowes and got a breaker the same size (2) and split them have not had any more trouble since then
I did have water heater on ele because I couldnt get my water heater to work on gas It was cold a couple nights before and I had a propane leak on one of my bottles so I was afraid to turn the gas on. I have a water heater that will not work on gas a left hand propane bottle that keeps coming up empty (I filled it twice) not sure if that is making my water heater not ignite and an AC breaker flipped. I am so frustrated and want to throw my hands up. Cause the only thing working is me. My boys love to camp and so do I but it's hard when I can't work on this camper myself. So thank you I will try to cut off the water hearted and see if I can get the breaker to flip to on.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

First thing is to push breaker handle hard to off position to reset it. Disconnect the wire from the breaker and turn it on. If it trips, the breaker is bad. Replace it!
Then if it trips immediately, you probably have a short in the wiring or in the A/C unit itself. To check if the problem is in the wiring system, you can disconnect the circuit at the a/c and turn on the breaker again after resetting. If it stays on now, you will need a repairman for the a/c.
If the breaker stays on for a short time before tripping, you have an overload condition, which also probably indicates a problem in the a/c unit. This is assuming the electric water heater and a/c are not on the same circuit!
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl View Post
First thing is to push breaker handle hard to off position to reset it. Disconnect the wire from the breaker and turn it on. If it trips, the breaker is bad. Replace it!
Then if it trips immediately, you probably have a short in the wiring or in the A/C unit itself. To check if the problem is in the wiring system, you can disconnect the circuit at the a/c and turn on the breaker again after resetting. If it stays on now, you will need a repairman for the a/c.
If the breaker stays on for a short time before tripping, you have an overload condition, which also probably indicates a problem in the a/c unit. This is assuming the electric water heater and a/c are not on the same circuit!
Thank You I will give this a shot. Wish me luck. Thank You Again and Happy Camping.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Does the breaker trip when you reset it with the A/C is turned off?

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

If the A/C is used infrequently, it could have another problem. Sometimes, the blower motor will be stuck and the compressor may run but w/o the fan there will be no cooling and eventually the breaker will trip. If you switch the A/C to 'fan' mode, does the fan operate? Power draw in this mode is so low it will not trip the breaker.

At the beginning of the cooling season, my A/C fan is typically stuck. Turn the power off, remove the inside cover (four screws), reach up and manually turn the blower and it works fine after that.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
Does the breaker trip when you reset it with the A/C is turned off?
I haven't been able to get it to reset at all. I push it but it will not stay. It automatically goes back to the off position
Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
If the A/C is used infrequently, it could have another problem. Sometimes, the blower motor will be stuck and the compressor may run but w/o the fan there will be no cooling and eventually the breaker will trip. If you switch the A/C to 'fan' mode, does the fan operate? Power draw in this mode is so low it will not trip the breaker.

At the beginning of the cooling season, my A/C fan is typically stuck. Turn the power off, remove the inside cover (four screws), reach up and manually turn the blower and it works fine after that.
I really hope it's that simple. I will surely give it a try.
Thank You So Much
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
New Camper

I can't get the breaker to flip to on. It stays on off no matter how hard I push it on
Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

You can run the propane off 1 side only and not use the other one. You need to check for a leak as a leak can be deadly. First place to check for a leak is the tank you can do this using soapy water as described Here. Make sure your CO detector is functioning well, if not get it fixed asap.

With 30 amp breakers trip easily if you run more than one thing at a time. Try running one thing at a time. Do any other breakers trip?

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Mom View Post
I can't get the breaker to flip to on. It stays on off no matter how hard I push it on
Did you reset it by pushing it all the way off and then back on? Have you pulled and checked your fuses carefully?

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Mom View Post
I haven't been able to get it to reset at all. I push it but it will not stay. It automatically goes back to the off position
So I take that to mean that the A/C is turned off at the thermostat when you reset the breaker.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Did you reset it by pushing it all the way off and then back on? Have you pulled and checked your fuses carefully?
I was wondering the same thing. If a molded case breaker is tripped, you will have to push it all the way to the open, or 'off', position, and then push it to the closed, or 'on', position. They typically won't close back in from the tripped position until you open them first.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. If a molded case breaker is tripped, you will have to push it all the way to the open, or 'off', position, and then push it to the closed, or 'on', position. They typically won't close back in from the tripped position until you open them first.
Exactly

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote