Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
New Camper

Adding second AC unit

I have a second AC unit I am going to install in the bedroom of my 2015 Sunset Trail 5th wheel. The one AC just does not cut it in high heat. I am thinking about blocking the rear feeding vent holes in the plenum of the main AC unit so everything goes to the living room and kitchen area. Then I can just use the second unit to cook the bedroom and bathroom area. Am I crazy, or is this a feasible option that just may work?

Also, are the stock AC units in these things Dometic Brisk Air? I have also been kicking around the idea of grabbing one of the RV Airflow inserts to throw in the main unit.

Thank you
Kies277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Few questions.
What size is the current AC?
Have you pulled any of the covers off and looked in the plenum? Some times the plenum gets disconnected. They attach them with tape, and some times it's not a very good job.

Have you looked in the end ones to see if they even locked the end of the plenum. Maybe it's open and just blowing up into the attic?
Have you taken the cover off the AC and looked to see if it's sealed between the cold air exhaust and the return air?
That has been found at fault also.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
New Camper

I opened it all up last summer and adjusted the divide, trapped it in better with foil tape and tape all the vent openings inside it to smooth them out. I have not looked into the actual vents yet, I just read about checking them and blocking off any excess ducting the other day. I have not been on the roof yet to look at the unit up there (there is no ladder on my rig). I am gonna go up there when I install the other AC unit. I also want to do the screen modification to the AC housing. Both units are 15k.
Kies277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
New Camper

AC

I have used window units building wooden window frames that pop in and out. Cheap and chills a small room quickly
Radioraye72 is offline   Reply With Quote