Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi All,
I am a brand new forum member. I am considering the purchase of a new Cruiser 5th wheel. We have owned two other RV's. ( a travel trailer and a truck camper) Both died a premature death due to water intrusions that led to dry rot etc. I am very concerned about the quality of our next purchase. i would be interested in opinions / experiences you may have had with leaks (or lack there of) with this brand.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

No leaks with either of the two we have owned. Both have been relatively trouble free. One bad slide actuator on the 2010, but quickly replaced under warranty. I still believe Cruisers are one of the best trailers available for the price, quality, and warranty service.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Every brand can leak. Buy what you want and try to be diligent about caulking and checking for leaks. Sounds like after your last two you show know the signs of a leak...although it is too late then.

I just found 2 leaks on my 2010. I had been trying to get around to Eternabonding it but it has been a busy summer. FIxed those 2 so they won't leak again, hope to get to the rest of it before fall.

I do like the Cruiser though, hoping it to be the last I buy.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

6 years and no leaks. Overall a very trustworthy rig.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Our move into this 5th wheel was after considerable searching and reading forums. We had 4 truck campers in a row and then a small 5th wheel. The move into a nicer larger unit was the normal progression. We attended many RV shows in surrounding areas and looked at many used units.

I believe for the money Cross Roads builds a very good unit. We purchased or CF29Ck when it was two years old and this is our 4th summer with it already! There have been no major issues but I remain vigilant about maintenance and caulking. All of them require re-sealing from time to time. There have been no delamination issues with our trailer. This is really something to watch out for. It destroys the looks and value of an RV and usually it is caused by the manufacturing process. There is no repair! You need to purchase a unit that has a complete fiberglass front cap. Many of the used units we looked at without a fiberglass cap in front showed severe signs of delamination.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

First of all, I've been through Truck Campers, pull behinds, Class C's, and now I'm on my second 5th wheel. A 5th wheel pulls 100 times better than a travel trailer pull behind. You don't get blown off the road by semi's and stuff. I agree with the above; how you maintain and take care of your unit will go along way. Not saying you can't have leaks. Sometimes what looks like good calking may have a small crack you can't see. Over all I like the Cruisers. I have had mine in for service on the slide under warranty. Anything can give you problems like I'm sure you know by now. Good luck

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
New Camper

Thanks to all of you for your input. I have been to acouple of RV shows and I try to ask opinions of others I know who own various rv's. I am really impressed with the apparent value of the Cruiser. I think I'll take the plunge this year. I have learned a lot of expensive lessons with the last two rigs. I really appreciate the input!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Fatdog,
One thing I will mention to you and you can see it in all the pictures of units on here; check the fact that CR's wraps the roof over the edges about 4 inches or so. No edges to leak, which cuts down on the possiblities. Maybe others are now doing this but when I bought some of the others I was considering didn't do this and that meant a great deal to me. Like a lot of others on this forum I will take my unit back to the factory next year to have the roof inspected and to have them perform any maintenence needed. Yes it will cost me but they are pro's and I am not. I can have them do it or have my dealer do it but because I will be heading to NY in late April (after the Texas Rally which we are hoping to attend this year) so a stop at Topeka is perfect for us, just 6 hours from here

Good hunting,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote