Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgironwood
We like a firm matress and would like to go with a continuous coil matress in our 2012 Slingshot 27BH. It is a short queen and they are available at sleep county in Ontario. However, with the 27BH the entrance into the bedroom is blocked by the entertainment unit and I think it will be very tight to get a stiff mattress into the bed area. Has anyone had any experience with putting a coil mattress into their RV...

We bought this one http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...attresses/2571from Camping World about 3 years ago. it ships compressed and rolled up in an 18"X18"X60" box. Was very easy to carry into the bed area of our trailer. Just lay it out on the bed platform, cut the shrink wrapand it will unroll and expand.Couldn't try it before we bought itso had to just go by the reviews. We've had no regrets. I like it better than the bed in the house. The wife still prefersthe softer pillow top at home but admits she does sleep good in the trailer as well...

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #22

padded and might want to replace it one day soon, any advice on brand or where to purchase one and how much they generally cost
WOW Gold
SWTOR Credits

Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #23
New Camper

Hi,
In regards to a mattress, as a fulltimer I will stress one thing - "regular" innerspring mattresses, no matter how good, are made to be used on a box spring, and I've thrown away more expensive mattresses over the years than I care to admit because they developed low or soft spots where our hips would be while sleeping, causing back pain and other issues.

I "discovered" the select comfort sleep number bed back about 2002, and have never looked back. It is the most comfortable bed Ive slept on - period - and the lack of a foundation doesn't affect it in any way at all since the support comes from air, not springs, etc.

As others have noted, I am also a fan of the memory foam mattress toppers. I figure the basic sleep number mattress will last for many many years, so rather than get a fancy one with a pillowtop made of the same stuff as regular mattresses, I use the least expensive model, and a (disposable, if need be) 1-1/2" memory foam topper.

The only aside is that if you're traveling up significantly in elevation, the mattress will get harder as you climb, so I usually let air out in the morning before we leave so as not to overstress it.

I've also seen them go pretty inexpensively on Ebay, and they're easy to ship, so that's an alternative if you don't want to spend too much.

Hope this helps!

Crossroads Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

The new sleep number mattresses now come in an RV version for just the problem you speak of. We have one and love it.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

ok, thanks for the reply....
Old 01-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

Thank you.... I have one question though, does it come in a "short queen"? Mine is 60x74. I have noticed a lot do not come in that size unless they make it for rv's specifically. They seem to be pretty pricy, where did you get yours and for how much if you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

I got mine from a sleep number shop and yes they are pricey. They make one for the rv and I built a 1 X 3 frame to contain it. Ours was about $1600 but we also got the special sheets and pillow cases.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

We replaced our mattress from our Cruiser CTX 26RKX with a regular queen sized mattress from Ikea. Never had such a good sleep.

Steady Fast Stabilizer System

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab
201126rkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #29
Family Vacation Member

If you like a firm mattress go to Walmart and buy the bed in a box, it is an 8inchfoam mattress and comes with a zip cover so you cut it to length with a sharp knife and fold the cover over on the end closest to the headboard and your done.

they are fairly inexpensive at around 200 bucks and they are firm and memory foam.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #30
New Camper

we just replaced it with a regular queensize mattress..alot better than what was provided

Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

I ordered a 3" memory foam topper from overstock. All sizes were the same price so I went ahead and got the king size. I cut it with an electric knife (cuts it like butter) and made pillows out of the excess that I cut off.

3 Sons, 2 Daughters-in-Law

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

1 Grandson, 2 Grandaughters

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
4AggiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote