Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
New Camper

Air Conditioner

Hello,
I own a 2014 Sunset Trail 250RB. Camper has treated me well over the 2 years I've owned it. However, last Summer I was hearing a dripping sound from the ceiling over the foot of the bed. It occurs only when I had the AC on. After doing research, it sounds like I have a clogged drain hose or dirty drainage pan in the AC. I went on the top of the roof (kneeling on a board over the cross beams) to take the AC cover off. I couldn't see the hose or pan and it looked like I needed to take more casings off. Didn't want to go any further without not knowing where to go from there, so I put cover on and thought I'd wait till Spring. So Spring is almost here and I'm looking for some advice on how to get to the hose and pan.

Note: There is no water damage anywhere that I could see. I'm assuming the dripping noise is coming from AC. Unless someone here may think it is coming from somewhere else. Dripping does not occur when raining.

Thanks,
Dennis
DECamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Does it drip inside? It could be condensation dripping off the pipes into the pan and if the pan has a little pool of water in it, it may be just the splashing of the drip you are hearing.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

All so the cover from the inside, There are four bolts I believe that holds it in place. there is a foam gasket that keeps the water out. once in a while the unit works it way loose, and by tightening these bolts a half a turn at a time will take care of this
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the replies. Can't see the drip. No water damage anywhere that I can see. I will check the foam gasket when I get camper out of storage.
Was still hoping there was an easy way to get to the drip pan and hose.

Dennis
DECamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

On the one end of the AC there is your cooling coil. It"s where the opening of the cover is. After you remove the cover (which you did) there should be a pan or plate directly under the coil with 1 drain hole on each side of the plate. Make sure those drain holes are clear.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

^^^ Good advice!

Another reminder is to visually inspect the cooling coil at least once per year. Was working with a friend last year who was complaining that his AC wasn't cooling correctly. We popped on top of his 5th wheel and discovered a LARGE wasp nest had been built on top of and between his coils. That stuff was like concrete! Took a lot of scrubbing to get his coils cleared but it did fix his cooling problem.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote