Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Air Conditioner

Our Cross Road air conditioner has never cooled our 32' RV. We have it in the shop again & are thinking we need to add a larger unit if possible. We also have a problem with blowing fuses.
BJSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Ours works great! We aren’t in direct sunlight, but it’ll freeze my wife out. Ours is prepped for a 2nd AC and no need for it. Hope yours is fixed soon!
Shortjac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortjac000 View Post
Ours works great! We aren’t in direct sunlight, but it’ll freeze my wife out. Ours is prepped for a 2nd AC and no need for it. Hope yours is fixed soon!

Do you have a 5 th wheel? We have a 32' we had condenser replaced 2 nd year, never seemed to cool right, Had a lot of problems with out slide out on kitchen side, we store our camper in our 40 x 80 garage with doors open daily. We use our camper about 8 weeks out of a year & most campgrounds down south are in direct sun. My husband took our camper to Swap Shop & were told not set up for a 2 nd. air unit, while on roof to ck air unit it was determined that we need an entire new roof at the cost of $4,800.00
Old 06-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSCOTT View Post
Do you have a 5 th wheel? We have a 32' we had condenser replaced 2 nd year, never seemed to cool right, Had a lot of problems with out slide out on kitchen side, we store our camper in our 40 x 80 garage with doors open daily. We use our camper about 8 weeks out of a year & most campgrounds down south are in direct sun. My husband took our camper to Swap Shop & were told not set up for a 2 nd. air unit, while on roof to ck air unit it was determined that we need an entire new roof at the cost of $4,800.00
Check with RV Armour for your roof,instead of just replacing the original, it may not be any cheaper but it is permanent, they come to you to install & guaranteed forever.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Ours isn’t a 5’er. We have the 32QB
Shortjac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
[QUOTE=Shortjac000;132508]Ours isn’t a 5’er. We have the 32QB[/QUOTE

This is why we ask everybody to post their -- Make, Model, and year of their RV in their signature.

It eliminates the need for these questions.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:

Never heard of anyone replacing the condenser on an RV AC. They are basically a chunk in the junk unit when they don't work. You have a reputable service company do that?

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Back in that period of time, The channels running to the AC out let were not done right. Pull the outlets Look inside and you will see where the duct does not seal. Tape up that gap with Duct tape. Makes a big difference. With out that you are trying to cool the roof
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
Never heard of anyone replacing the condenser on an RV AC. They are basically a chunk in the junk unit when they don't work. You have a reputable service company do that?
Yes, was a reputable service company. In fact did not have problems with it working since, just does not seem to be a large enough unit to cool RV down when it is so hot outside!
Old 06-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Yes, was a reputable service company. In fact did not have problems with it working since, just does not seem to be a large enough unit to cool RV down when it is so hot outside!

I see you're in Florida. I don't think one AC is gonna cut it there. We have a fifth wheel, and two 15K BTU units struggle in the Texas heat.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #11
New Camper

AC Cruiser 2017

Brand new 5th wheel foot. Found AC ducting not sealed properly and ducts leaking airflow into the roof. Camper still wouldn't cool until I replaced the ac unit out. I have Dometic main ac and did an optional Coleman polar cub 9200 btu in bedroom. Manufacturer warranty said when I ship them back the replaced ac. (IF) found to be defective they would (consider) (reimbursement).
Dealer they suggested for service in my area could not get in contact with them the day of scheduled service.
Now 2k out of pocket to cool a new unit.

2017 Super Duty
2017 Cruiser Aire 29 SI
td1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #12
New Camper

I bought a brand new trailer and the AC never worked and actually froze up all the time under warranty. I took back to the Dealer several times and they said nothings wrong each time. Being frustrated and also an AC mechanic I decided to fix it myself. There are no charging ports on here so I needed put them in myself. I weighed in the critical amount and all has been fine since. The problem wasn't with Crossroads but with the manufacturer of the AC. It just wasn't right that the Dealership wouldn't fix. That being said.

The system is a sealed system with a very small amount of refrigerant. If there was a leak it wouldn't do anything. Apparently in my situation the unit was improperly charged from the manufacturer of the AC unit and the proper weighed in charge fixed it.
JumboJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I also have a problem with the AC not being able to cool our brand new 29’ cruiser Aire 5th wheel. 15k AC. The air seems cool coming out of the ducts in the bed area but cannot cool down the living area. Not sure if just bad ducting or a leak somewhere in the attic ? It was 95 outside and it never got below 87 inside. My last RV froze my wife and I out even in hottter temps. This unit definitely has problems. If fixable probably not an easy fix
wmj3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:17 AM   #14
New Camper

Add a second AC

I added a second AC to my old 2014 Zinger QBH.

It only came with one and the AC struggled to keep the AC in the Mid 80’s in the Texas Summer Heat.

I took off the front bedroom 14x14 vent and added a non ducted second AC unit. I ran wires into the cabinet, down the back corner of the wall, into the storage compartment. I bought a nice 110 v outdoor receptacle with a cover mounted it in a hole I cut in the side of the trailer behind the storage compartment door. (Several people stated it looked factory installed).

I bought a heavy duty extension cord and plugged it into the 20 amp connections at the camp site. It worked great.
Ragecajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I don't think any of the low to mid grade units are well insulated although some are better than others. I'm not sure the high end ones are all than good either. I do know that I could hardly hold my hand on the inside wall of mine with the afternoon sun shining on the outside in Austin in September.

There are hedges like starting cold in the morning, seeking shade, etc. but if you want to be effortlessly cool in all climates I think you need two AC's.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Funny I am reading this as we just experienced a similar situation with our CR 32bhs TT. It was 92 where we are currently camping and it was uncomfortably warm inside our unit during the day. However, at night , our units has no trouble getting cooled. I just think one AC unit in a 32 foot TT isn’t enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk