Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2023, 01:59 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Air conditioner has a mind of it's own

I tried a search and found nothing.

Yesterday, I ran the air conditioner in the afternoon. Worked perfect. Actually ran it the 2 days before with no issue.

About 5:00, I turned it off because I didn't need it anymore. No issues.

Last night, maybe around midnight, it was running, but not blowing air. It would run for about 2 minutes and shut off for about 5 minutes. It woke me up. I would say it was 1/2 as loud as normal. I checked the thermostat and it was off. I toggled it up to air and the air kicked on. I went to furnace and it worked as well. Thinking maybe it needed a reset of the switch, I went to bed. It didn't work. I shut off the breaker and went to sleep. This morning, I turned the breaker on to see if it would stop. I also checked and the air still worked, when turned on, but when it was turned off, it would run without blowing air. I tried the fan switch and the auto switch, and the temp, but it wouldn't stop it. I let it run for a while, to see what happened and it blew the main breaker, after about 15 minutes.

Turned the breaker off and switched the main back on. Everything was fine, but the air conditioner was still doing the same thing.
I did check, the air still works, when it's turned on.

Any ideas? I'm thinking bad thermostat, but my knowledge is limited.

Now, I'm 400 miles from the camper, so I can't try anything. Just letting you know. Any tips will have to be done at a later time.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2023, 05:41 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I’m not an AC guy so I ask Dr. Google: The most common reason that your Air Conditioner fan won't turn off is because a stuck relay keeping the circuit closed. If it's not the relay, your thermostat likely has a shorted cable or needs to be replaced. This video might help. https://youtu.be/veenJYge6AA

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 06:41 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply. I also tried Google and Youtube. I didn't find an answer. I'll check your link.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:54 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

That video does appear to be the same problem. I appreciate it. When I searched, I kept finding videos on the capacitors.

At the end of last year, the air conditioner froze up on me, twice. It hadn't ever done that before. I wonder if that was an indication of the problem.