Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Amperage from tow harness?

Another question came up today while looking into beginner RV things, specifically travel trailers - when you have the trailer hitched and wired to the tow vehicle, how much amperage is usually available to run systems on the trailer? Like can the slide and fridge be operated through power from the tow harness?
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

The fridge doesn't operate on DC, and that is what's coming out of the tow vehicle to the trailer, but it does need DC to function.
The fridge will run on LP or AC.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
The fridge doesn't operate on DC, and that is what's coming out of the tow vehicle to the trailer.
The fridge will run on LP or AC.
That makes sense, but it's lie number one from the dealer. I figured the TT had an on board inverter or something. I'll have to keep a sharper eye on the dealer. What does run on DC from the TV?
Old 01-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

lloyd some of the new ones that Janet is looking at have residentual Refrigerators. They run off of an inverter no LP
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Some RV's do have an onboard inverter. If so equipped, it will operate the fridge if a residential fridge has been installed in it, but I don't know of any entry level models that has the inverter.
The tow vehicle will put a charge in the RV battery and operate the running lights.

What are you thinking of getting for your RV.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
lloyd some of the new ones that Janet is looking at have residentual Refrigerators. They run off of an inverter no LP

Knowing you and Janet, it's probably not an entry level rig. Or am I wrong on that to.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I want a tear Drop that not going to happen
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp722 View Post
Another question came up today while looking into beginner RV things, specifically travel trailers - when you have the trailer hitched and wired to the tow vehicle, how much amperage is usually available to run systems on the trailer? Like can the slide and fridge be operated through power from the tow harness?
The fuse for the auxiliary terminal in the vehicle's connection socket is usually in the under-hood fuse panel. It is normally 30 or 40 amps. On my Silverado it is 40 amps. The owner's manual for my Silverado also states:
Quote:
If charging a remote (non-vehicle) battery, press the Tow/Haul Mode button, if equipped, located at the end of the shift lever. This will boost the vehicle system voltage and properly charge the battery.
With a battery in the trailer, the main purpose of this connection is to keep the trailer's battery charged while the trailer's battery powers the 12v equipment in the trailer.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
What are you thinking of getting for your RV.
We're looking at a '17 Sunset Trail SS291RK this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
With a battery in the trailer, the main purpose of this connection is to keep the trailer's battery charged while the trailer's battery powers the 12v equipment in the trailer.
Is the motor for the slide DC? So pretty much just plug-in devices and appliances that need AC/generator power?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
We're looking at a '17 Sunset Trail SS291RK this weekend.

Is the motor for the slide DC? So pretty much just plug-in devices and appliances that need AC/generator power?
Slide will operate on DC. you are correct on the plug in devices.

I have to correct myself on the residential fridge not being installed in the entry level models.
Last fall when we were up north hunting I met a fella that had a small, but brand new camper with the residential fridge. I wondered why he bought it that way because he was dry camping for better then a month up there without electricity, and it didn't have an inverter. He spent more time running for ice then hunting.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Slide will operate on DC. you are correct on the plug in devices.

I have to correct myself on the residential fridge not being installed in the entry level models.
Last fall when we were up north hunting I met a fella that had a small, but brand new camper with the residential fridge. I wondered why he bought it that way because he was dry camping for better then a month up there without electricity, and it didn't have an inverter. He spent more time running for ice then hunting.
Thanks! Is it safe to have the fridge running on LP while towing so it'll keep food cool? It seems really not safe. If not you'd just have to keep food in a cooler until you get to your location and the fridge can cool itself down, right?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
Site Team

When ever we hook up and leave, the fridge is running on LP. I always shut it off before we pull in to get fuel. Then turn it on again after fueling and pulling away from the pumps.

There are some that don't do it that way.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Like Llyod ours is on all of time except when I get fuel
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Thanks guys!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

A few notes on this subject. Whether the fridge is using LP or 120VAC to heat the ammonia for refrigeration, it STILL needs 12 VDC to operate the controls. That comes from the Trailer Battery.
The running lights (tail, turn signals) have nothing to do with the trailer battery, that power comes from the tow vehicle.
We always travel with the fridge running on LP. They are designed to do that.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
A few notes on this subject. Whether the fridge is using LP or 120VAC to heat the ammonia for refrigeration, it STILL needs 12 VDC to operate the controls. That comes from the Trailer Battery.
The running lights (tail, turn signals) have nothing to do with the trailer battery, that power comes from the tow vehicle.
We always travel with the fridge running on LP. They are designed to do that.
Thanks! About how long does 40# of LP last when dry camping if you don't have to run the furnace, but with normal fridge and cooking use? And then how long would it last running the furnace?
Old 02-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Thanks! About how long does 40# of LP last when dry camping if you don't have to run the furnace, but with normal fridge and cooking use? And then how long would it last running the furnace?
When staying in the trailer in the low 30s I would go through a 30 lb bottle running furnace and hot water heater a week. It was a 32ft TT with full wall slide
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Davisk is correct about the fuse but make sure it's there and the wire connecting it to the trailer is plugged in. I had that on my 2008 Silverado & the fuse was there but we had to take the box out to find the wire underneath. Fortunately, the 2013 was already attached.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I'll go with Woodwalker. We use the auto-switchover on the LP tanks. Using LP for water heat, cooking and fridge, one tank lasts about a week. Add in the heater, and now you're talking 2 or 3 days per tank.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #20
Seasonal Camper

We put a LP tank monitor from Mopeka (Products – Mopeka Products, LLC) on our Seville. It works good but cold weather will sap the batteries (it tells you sensor battery level as well).
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote