Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Ifanybody using an analog tv with the converter box in their rig I would like to know if you have any problems with it? Does it work ok with the trailer antenna?

Thanks

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

We used an analog tv for a while with a magnavox digital convertor box. It worked fine with the existing antennna. I will say that after we got a digital tv and ditched the convertor box we seemed to get more channels.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have an analog tv with the converter box and it works fine. Sometimes the signal is weak; however, I have always been able to pick up at least one station with a good signal. It does not work if the antanna power boost button is not pushed in.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We also use a converter box (Wineguard) with our analog tv and have no issues. Will say that once I added the dtv booster antenna to the batwing on the roof, we had better reception and more channels. Worthwhile investment for less than $30.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Do you have a full screen or do you have the black lines at the top and bottom?

Thanks

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Most of the time we have a full screen. It just depends on the format being broadcast, as the ratio is different on some of the new signals.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

When we stop and do not want to put up the dish we have connected to the ant with the converter box. It seems to work good but have to move the ant around to point in the direction of the station. More so that with analog. In the setting in the box is the different screen formats and need to be set for each station. ie full, letter box ect. I did pick up a cheap dtv ant and it seems to work better than one on the roof.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Geondebi is right, with the new digital signal, the receiver (whether it is the TV or the converter box) is much more sensitive to picking up the signal via the antenna. And unlike the old analog signal, if it is too weak of a signal, you don’t get anything as opposed to just a fuzzy picture. The boosters, like the one delqcc mentioned, will help and so will the “digital� antennas (although there is nothing really digital about them, they are just better constructed to pick up the signals). If you have one of the directional dtv antennas, and you plan on staying at a site for a while, you can go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and plug in the address to get the direction and distances for local stations. The other problem with digital signals is that they are more prone to interference from anything in their path (like buildings and trees), so that adds some challenges when camping at densely wooded campsites.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have good luck with converter box, most of the time i never even raise Antenna on RV, and still have great reception

2007 2500HD Chevy, CC, D/A
SSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

This is a very low current use device that will boost your TV signal by several DB's. For those of you who always have 120VAC available it would be a very simple installation. Just put it in-line with the antenna feed with the output going to one or more TV's through a splitter, then plug the small power transformer into an AC outlet. I put one of these in my home and it added several hdtv stations to my reception even though I split the output four times! (each split adds some loss of signal). It also eliminated the pixelation I was getting on some of the marginal channels. With the typical 2 TV installation in an RV it would work even better. The power transformer changes the 120VAC to 12VDC so, for those of you who are comfortable with a little wiring, you could add a 2nd power input to the amplifier so it would work directly off your battery for use when you are dry camping.

http://estore.websitepros.com/112973...Categories.bok

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote