Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a satellite dish installed and can't get local channels that way (long story) so I plugged into the campground cable. They offer 25 channels, I am only getting 13 and the reception is AWFUL. I have the switch behind the TV over to "cable" and have done the channel search on the TV. I have a few questions:

1. I have been told to make sure my antenna booster is off so the cable channels get picked up and have a clearer picture. Where is this switch located? No reference to it at all in the owner's manual.

2. In the manual it also shows a crank for putting the antenna up. Cannot find THAT anywhere in side the rig. So how do I get the antenna up????? If I can't get locals via cable maybe I can get them that way?

Anyone that knows the antenna questions or how to get either one working correctly - your advice is greatly, greatly appreciated.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd DRW and 2011 Rushmore RF35CK. Full time as of June 2011.
CatWoman1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I don't know what antenna you have but on mine when you are connected to cable turn the power booster on the antenna off, mine has a small green light when on...s

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Normally the booster on/off switch has been a small button on the amplifier plate. The plate is where you connect the TV coax in the ent center. It should glow green(?) when on (only used for over the air reception). On the newer rigs, the antenna is omni-directional and does not have a crank. If you have a dome type antenna, then you don't have a crank.

If you verify everything, ie -coax connections, correct "input" on the outside of the rig, etc, then you may have a bad coax connection somewhere in the system. Best to have a dealer check it out.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

we don't usually watch much tv while camping, so I may not have the best advice for you but ours has a switch behind the tv for cable or sat. I figured that also controlled the amplifier as well. you probably don't have a crank for your antenna. the new antennas crossroads uses don't crank and don't work half as good either.
I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with more experience and better advice.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWoman1121
I have a satellite dish installed and can't get local channels that way (long story) so I plugged into the campground cable. They offer 25 channels, I am only getting 13 and the reception is AWFUL. I have the switch behind the TV over to "cable" and have done the channel search on the TV. I have a few questions:

1. I have been told to make sure my antenna booster is off so the cable channels get picked up and have a clearer picture. Where is this switch located? No reference to it at all in the owner's manual.

2. In the manual it also shows a crank for putting the antenna up. Cannot find THAT anywhere in side the rig. So how do I get the antenna up????? If I can't get locals via cable maybe I can get them that way?

Anyone that knows the antenna questions or how to get either one working correctly - your advice is greatly, greatly appreciated.
You must call your satellite provider & give them your zip code to recieve local channels, when using your dish.

When hooked up to the campground cable, make sure you are plug into the "cable" connection & not the "satellite" connection. Also make sure the amplifier is off (a black push button, next to the 12vdc outlet) & that your are not using the "satellite" cable inside your tv cabinet. I have 2 tv receptacles, 1 is for the antenae/cable & the other is for the satellite. While on campground cable, you must reprogram your tv, to that areas' channels. This is done by using your tv remote, pressing menu & switching from antenae to cable & then hit scan, which will reprogram for the local cable channels.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
hhh
Seasonal Camper

The switch for the amplifier is on the same plate on the wall that you connect the TV cable to. The newcoacheshave a 3 position switch, center is off, to the left is antenna, to the right is cable.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I had the same problem at a rv park last week. I plugged the cable into the satellite feed and everything worked like is it suppose to. I spoke to the person at the rv park and he said the splitter was what caused problem in their park.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
New Camper

I dont' have a switch for the amplifier. I have looked everywhere.

HHH - I have that switch - and it is set to cable when I am programming the cable channels into the TV but still not picking them all up and the picture is still awful.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd DRW and 2011 Rushmore RF35CK. Full time as of June 2011.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

There is a possibility that the booster button they are talking is on the cable hookup plate in the bedroom. There will only be one.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Quote:

HHH - I have that switch - and it is set to cable when I am programming the cable channels into the TV but still not picking them all up and the picture is still awful.
The other option is to try it with the switch in the other postions. Could be the cabling is incorrect.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

The amplifier for your antenna is generally built into the antenna and you need to turn is off if you want to use CATV cable serviceprovided bythe campground. The switch to turn it off is a small pushbutton on the cable wall outlet at the entertainment area. You need to push it to turn off the amplifier in the antenna. A little green light will go out when the amplifier is turned off.
There should be two external cable connectors on the outside of your 5vr. One will be for CATV and the other will be for a satellite dish.

While this drawing may be a bit confusing, here is how I set up our 5vr for Antenna, CATV and Satellite tv services.

2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:

Can you post pictures of the area where the connections are mounted to the wall behind the TVs in LR and in BR. Someone should be able to figure it out if we could see your setup.

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 AM   #13
New Camper

Yes, I can do that later this evening or tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 AM   #14
hhh
Seasonal Camper

She has a 2011 model. It should have a 3 position switch.

Ant - Off - Cable

The last option would be to hook the campground cable to the external "sat" connection and then hook the inside TV to the "sat" coax outlet. This is aseparateconnection then the inside connection from the antenna connection.

Edited by: hhh

Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

hhh

Didnt see her reply to your previous post acknowledgeing the switch. If it is in in cable position she must be hooked to the wrong cable connection or she must have a bad cable/connector as someone else noted.

CatWoman,

You are moving the hookup to your TVfrom the satellite connection to the TV connection when trying to get cable arent you?

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPete
hhh

Didnt see her reply to your previous post acknowledgeing the switch. If it is in in cable position she must be hooked to the wrong cable connection or she must have a bad cable/connector as someone else noted.

Her quote in a previous post

Quote:
</span>
https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Hooking up to the sat connection is what I had to do to get clear cable at a rv park in Oklahoma City last week as suggested by HHH. Cable company was not compatible with cable splitters.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Really, IMHO, the Jensen antenna system is a piece of junk
https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Hi All,

We are new to the forum and we have a new 35RL.

I can confirm that in ours, there is a 3 position switch behind the TV. Center, the green light is offthen right or left and it is on. In another TT, the green on meant amplifying and off not. At the campground it was off for cable and on when we used the antenna.

So, in this one, it sounds like it's amplifying when not in the center position? We're getting ready for a week long trip from FL to GA mountains next week. I'm going to get familiar with that for sure. I'll report back if this is still in question.

I got a ton of questions but am going to read thru the posts 1st to see if they've already been answered.

Craig &amp; Karey

Wellington, FL

2011 F350 Dually

2011 35RL

casmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Seasonal Camper

I get more channels and better pictures when I connect the CG cable and the TV to the Satellite connectors but downside is you can't use the bedroom TV. The amplifier seems to make a lot of the cable channels very fuzzy or not viewable at all. Seems like there should be a better solution, but I don't know how to find it.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote