Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > General RV Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Anyone have any experience to share about Airtabs?

Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Application

I am wanting to make my ride as easy to handle as possible.
Got the big weight distribution anti-sway bars of the Equal-i-zer, but also wondering if these might make a difference?
Old 04-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingy Light Fury View Post
Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Application

I am wanting to make my ride as easy to handle as possible.
Got the big weight distribution anti-sway bars of the Equal-i-zer, but also wondering if these might make a difference?
To be quite honest I think would be absolutely great................at lightening up your wallet & making your rv look ridiculous.
But I have no experience, nor will I ever, & have never spoken to anyone that has stuck them all over their rv.
In the past 10 years I've towed heavy 5th wheels with diesel dually trucks between 150-200k miles & not had any handling issues that those stick on arrowheads would've helped.
Just my .02 cents!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
To be quite honest I think would be absolutely great................at lightening up your wallet & making your rv look ridiculous.
But I have no experience, nor will I ever, & have never spoken to anyone that has stuck them all over their rv.
In the past 10 years I've towed heavy 5th wheels with diesel dually trucks between 150-200k miles & not had any handling issues that those stick on arrowheads would've helped.
Just my .02 cents!

Wow! That's a lot of driving.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:39 PM   #4
Site Team

I would say they do not work. Just look at the trucking industry. If they worked you would see them on those rigs. Back in the day those big wings that go on the truck roof to direct air over the camper were the same thing.

The best advice i would give you is to make sure your equalizer hitch is properly adjusted. It should put weight on both the front axle and rear axle of the truck and some back on the trailer axles.

Also run a GOOD sway system. And remember you have a reservation at the campground - take it easy and enjoy the ride.
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:06 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Wow! That's a lot of driving.
Had 300k+ miles between 2 GMC trucks after 10+ years of fulltiming.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Boy, that averages out to about 2500 mi. per month. You must not have sat in one place very long.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I second what dagst1 said about setting up WD properly. In my Chevy owners manual it tells you how to achieve that. Unhitched, measure from the ground to a point in middle of front wheel well. If measurement is say 38” you want that measurement as close to that measurement hitched up. If hitched and no bar measurement is 40”, then getting measurement to 39” is 50% weight distribution. You may not get to original measurement even though that’s 100% distribution.
In my case I added 17 lbs to front axle weight and 858 lbs to rear axle weight when hitched.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
I would say they do not work. Just look at the trucking industry. If they worked you would see them on those rigs. Back in the day those big wings that go on the truck roof to direct air over the camper were the same thing.

The best advice i would give you is to make sure your equalizer hitch is properly adjusted. It should put weight on both the front axle and rear axle of the truck and some back on the trailer axles.

Also run a GOOD sway system. And remember you have a reservation at the campground - take it easy and enjoy the ride.

I agree with what dagst1 stated.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thank you everyone... great replies. I'll stick to the WD hitch.
Makes sense what you Dagst about the trucking industry. yes, if they worked, they'd all have them even if it saved them 1 mpg. it'd be well worth it at the end of the year.