Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
New Camper

Unhappy Attwood Water Heater Solenoid/Valve Issue

I have an Attwood 6 gal water heater in my Sunset Trail. Electric heating is working, but gas is not. I have gas to all 3 burners on the cook top, so I know I have gas flowing in general. I hear and see the spark igniter. I hear the valve solenoid clicking, but couldn't tell if the valve was actually opening. No smell or sound of gas. I removed the gas line coupling at the intake side of the valve and turned the gas back on and had gas flowing. I removed the valve/solenoid so I could bench test. Removed the orifice - no blockage. With the orifice removed and the gas line removed from the valve input end, I applied 12 v to the solenoid, heard the solenoid click and tried to blow through the valve from the input end. Could not blow through - not even a little. Next steps to try other then buy a new valve assembly? Would love some additional guidance on how to (or how NOT to) take this thing apart or try to thread something through it to remove any blockages.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's a link to a website that can help you. Attwood Hot water heater
Plus there is a copy in our documents section

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
New Camper

Talking Solved!

With the solenoid/valve assembly on my bench, I sprayed WD40 into the gas inlet and outlet sides of the valve. I then hooked up 12 volts to the red connection and grounded to the case. I "switched" the solenoid on and off rapidly around 15 times and then tried to blow through the valve and it had opened. Put everything back together and works like a charm. I think the moving part of the valve must have corroded a bit and gotten stuck and just needed some help to free up. I figure I saved $80 on a new valve assembly and at LEAST an hour of labor, probably more if you include the fact that they would repeat the troubleshooting I did.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Great job! NOBODY would have cleaned the solenoid valve; they would have all just replaced it. This is good to know, and worth remembering!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Thanks again for the tip!
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote