Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
New Camper

Atwood Furnace not igniting

I wanted to ask the community regarding Atwood Furnace not igniting, I am trying to walk my wife through it cause i am away on a Project in IT. She hears the blower coming on and not igniter sounds then it shuts off. I have a feeling the ignitor may have spread a little to far apart to create a spark. I asked my Wife to light the stovetop burners to see if maybe there maybe a airlock in line i will advise when i walk her through that.
RickJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I know it’s crazy but does she have the gas on. Also, when is the last time you’ve lit it. Mud daubers are bad to build a nest in the tube.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Sounds like the sail switch has failed. Not uncommon but if you’ve confirmed gas flow, thermostat settings etc, that’s likely your issue. Replacements are not expensive and depending on your mechanical ability can be done without breaking the bank. Lots of good info on the sail switch on Google (and of course this forum).

"The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"
divey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

There are Atwood furnace troubleshooting guides available on the internet, admittedly they are rather hard to find. I found one for my model when I was having an issue, a few years ago.
If you give us your furnace model number, perhaps we can help further.
Atwood has an error light or two on the unit, and you can troubleshoot the unit by counting the number of flashes during the failure. Sorry to be so vague, but troubleshooting is model specific.
There is also a section on the forum where you can get manuals for various RV devices, I will post the Atwood 8500 series if it's not there.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJulie View Post
I wanted to ask the community regarding Atwood Furnace not igniting, I am trying to walk my wife through it cause i am away on a Project in IT. She hears the blower coming on and not igniter sounds then it shuts off. I have a feeling the ignitor may have spread a little to far apart to create a spark. I asked my Wife to light the stovetop burners to see if maybe there maybe a airlock in line i will advise when i walk her through that.
I just wrote this up a week or so ago. Not an Atwood or same model RV, but I've learned a lot on how these things work recently... Hope it helps: https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...m_medium=email

2014 Crossroads Elevation 3612
2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn w/Cummins
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide
~~ Semper Fidelis ~~
NKGig is offline   Reply With Quote