Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Automatic awning

Hello
We're new to hear but not new to camping!
Purchased our 2016 27' BH sunset trail and love it!
But,,,,,
The auto awning is not lining up on the right side as you look at it to completely seat correctly in/on the bracket mounted on the side of coach.
Question,
Is the tube spring loaded on an auto awning?
Seems like I could just loosen the set screw and push motor in a little to move left some for better alignment?

Curious...
Max-N-Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

If it's a Carefree make sure they took the 2 cotter pins out of the head unit, they are on the back side & were to be removed after installation, just pull them straight out & that allows the heads to float while rolling in & out.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I think you would need to remove the screws that secure the fabric in the awning rail and shift it to the left, then reinstall them. It is the fabric that affects where the arm lands.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-N-Millie View Post
Hello
We're new to hear but not new to camping!
Purchased our 2016 27' BH sunset trail and love it!
But,,,,,
The auto awning is not lining up on the right side as you look at it to completely seat correctly in/on the bracket mounted on the side of coach.
Question,
Is the tube spring loaded on an auto awning?
Seems like I could just loosen the set screw and push motor in a little to move left some for better alignment?

Curious...

I don't have the automatic awning, but do experience the same issue at times.
My answer has been to slide the awning in the grove on the tube. That has always remedied the problem. I thought at first about moving it up on the upper end, but found this to work for me.
I almost think either the awning material isn't cut square, or the upright support rails/arms are off some how. Whether it's the position they are mounted on the side of the trailer is off a little, either up or down to far, holes in the arms not exact, or what, but something is definitely off a little.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We have the Soera power awning and it does the same thing, my theory is that the drive motor is on one side causing a slight twist causing the fabric to roll up off center slightly. ???
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

i had the exact same problem. when rolled up, was 1" or so off center, and was a bear to push on arm while wife "tapped" retract button. got worse over time. fed up, i took out set screw so awing could slid a little when retracting. rolled up like a charm. was gonna reset screw, but never got around to it and has worked fine ever since. so awing will slide back and forth an inch or less when extending or retracting, and works perfect
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

my theory why awing gets out of square and won't roll up tight. i always have the same end of awning a few inches lower for rain run off and over time, awning got a little out of square. just an educated guess, but removing set screw worked.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Awning repair

We recently experienced something I hope no one else ever will. While camping in Florida, a strong storm came up quite suddenly and before we could get our awning in, the wind tore the roller out of the bracket. Hubby and I were in a panic trying to hold up the awning to keep the other end from coming loose. The wind and rain were relentless and we almost reached the point of dropping the whole thing when I remembered the Duck tape in our tool box. Hubby was able to tape the dislodged roller to the arm just enough for us to roll it in. Our awning is 18 feet long and it was not an easy job but the tape did the trick. The next day, we headed to Home Depot to purchase a rivet gun. There were only two screws holding the awning roller in place before they failed. We now have rivets at both ends of the rollers and our awning goes in and out without any wobble. Check your awning and if it's only being held to the roller arm with a couple of screws, reinforce it with rivets. And don't forget to add a roll of Duck tape to your rv repair kit! I hope this helps someone else avoid what we experienced.
Buffy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Mine only had a screws on each end and both were loose...now there are 4 each end and lock washers on all. That was done before maiden voyage.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I'm glad you caught this before you had trouble. Lock washers would be a simple fix and certainly make more sense than screws.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy B View Post
We recently experienced something I hope no one else ever will. While camping in Florida, a strong storm came up quite suddenly and before we could get our awning in, the wind tore the roller out of the bracket. Hubby and I were in a panic trying to hold up the awning to keep the other end from coming loose. The wind and rain were relentless and we almost reached the point of dropping the whole thing when I remembered the Duck tape in our tool box. Hubby was able to tape the dislodged roller to the arm just enough for us to roll it in. Our awning is 18 feet long and it was not an easy job but the tape did the trick. The next day, we headed to Home Depot to purchase a rivet gun. There were only two screws holding the awning roller in place before they failed. We now have rivets at both ends of the rollers and our awning goes in and out without any wobble. Check your awning and if it's only being held to the roller arm with a couple of screws, reinforce it with rivets. And don't forget to add a roll of Duck tape to your rv repair kit! I hope this helps someone else avoid what we experienced.
Not sure what you are talking about, any pictures?

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Original poster here,
Mine still isn't lining up. So I tried loosening the set screw in / on the gutter rail track and put it out and in a couple times. Hoping it would self center to a degree....still off by like 3/4 of an inch on the top of the right side of awning as you stand on the awning side looking at it. So, maybe little better but not a 100%.
Also I noticed the motor end of awning the bracket was not seating correctly either.��
So I fixed that with a bolt that went through arm and squeezed it a little tighter so it would seat correctly. Still has not helped my arm from fully seating. Had to put the girl away for a couple weeks as work called and I was busy.
Got her back today to home and hopefully I can fix once and for all, if I do I will take some pictures and attach!
Max-N-Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

The roller end plate on our extended awning was attached to the vertical arm using only two screws. The force of the wind pulled the roller out of the arm bracket and the only thing keeping it from falling to the ground was my husband standing on a picnic table and holding it up. I can take a picture tomorrow of the repair as I'm not very good at explaining things. ��
Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Automatic awning

Picture of awning roller reinforced with rivets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0251.jpg (121.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Oh, those screws.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Check your awning and see what's holding the roller in place. We went to an rv show this past week and noticed that they are now using rivets in place of screws.