Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone has any bad experiences with their manual AE awning? A sudden (and not overly strong) gust of wind literally peeled the cast aluminum apart on the bottom of the main rails. The awning then proceeded up and over the trailer and in the process ripped half the length of the awning right at the tube.
It seems to me that these pieces should not have failed so easily. This is our third trailer and we had not had any issues with either previous awning. They were both Carefree of Colorado and survived many prairie windstorms. I would expect an awning to rip from the wind, but not for the metal fittings to fail.
Now we need to see if there is any warrantee coverage and/or what it will cost to fix or replace the awning. We might want to consider a power awning but i suspect that they would be even more fragile in the wind.
Good thing the 32BL has a sliding window in the back where we could slide the awning inside. Otherwise i am not sure how we would have gotten it home.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Didn't have any damage but I did have one of the cast aluminum pieces break when a gust of wind hit. The replacement part I got from AE was machined. Probably should have ordered a second one to have ready when the other ones goes...

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

You might want to check with your insurance carrier to see if you have coverage on the awning.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I cracked the rollertube on mine last year...Thought I had it piched enough to handle the rain...A bad storm rolled in very fast, it took on a little water, then she cracked like an egg. Long story short, I was fully covered though my RV insurance and had a new tube AND awning in about a week.

2003 F250 PSD

Central Jersey
JerseyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I'm curious as to what part actually broke, (so I know what to watch out for) was it the "foot" on the bottom of the upright?

BTW I'm a big believer in the "de-flappers" that clip onto the edges of the awning and secure to the outer rails. I think they keep the awning from getting too crazy in the wind. But they're not going to do any good if the mounting hardware is actually breaking.Edited by: rock1424

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

It was the "foot" that broke. The cast aluminum peeled apart at it's thinnest section. The awning was then free to flip up over the trailer, partially ripping the other foot. If there is a replacement machined piece I would suggest everyone upgrade. In my opinion it should have been machined to begin with. Cast aluminum is not a very strong material.
And my deflappers were also on. Keep in mind that the awning did not rip until after it was partially up on the roof.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, I will replacing those with machined pieces.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote