Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
New Camper

Awning Help

Hello All, a freak windstorm blew our awning around, ripping the metal pole brackets. Amazingly the awning itself was left intact. I am trying to find replacement parts and am confused as to what I should be looking for. The trailer is a 2010 Zinger 19RD. Here are my questions, any advice would be much appreciated.

1. What "model" awning does this have? I see it is a Dometic Sunchaser, but the only number on the awning itself is a long 9-digit product number. Is there some sort of model number or name I need?
2. The issue is with the connections to the bracket that holds the poles to the trailer at the bottom (3/4 way down the trailer). The bracket itself (attached to the trailer) is fine, as are the poles. There is a connection to the bracket on the bottom of each of the slider poles, and that is what broke off and needs to be replaced. It looks as though the connection is attached to the pole by a rivet. Can just the "connection" piece be replaced, or do I need to replace the whole pole?
3. Anyone had any luck with AnyRVparts store on eBay, or can recommend a reputable online store?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks in advance.
Zingy
Zingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I had the same storm hit my awning a few years back. I was able to take it to a dealer for repair and the insurance paid the bill. The info you have should be enough to get parts. Not sure of the online stores you noted but good luck on your fix. I can tell you since then I have been very careful on when the awning goes out and tied down most of the time.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Take copious pictures, make notes with dates, times, locations...

and send to your insurance company...

aybe even go by an rv dealer or call a mobile tech to get a written estimate and they can tell you model numbers, etc....

good luck !

Was it tied down at all ?

I got a set of 4 hooks made for our two awnings and wondering if they will help me when the wind blows
Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

After seeing what a thunderstorm can do to an awning, I always bring mine in at night and when away.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We always bring ours in at night and if we are gone for the day, also we use tie downs and these seem to work very well, then we can sit outside even if it is raining. However, if the forcast says wind and storms we roll it up.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

If you are talking about the little foot that can be separated from the tt, we replaced that recently. We took it to a dealer, they put our awning back on the track, repaired the rip and put a new foot on it for less than $100. We were lucky when the wind hit us, DH had forgotten to tighten the bars so they actually came apart and saved our awning.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Check out this link to see if it helps.
http://www.marksrv.com/store52/agora...awning,+arms+A

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Look on the roller itself...should be a sticker.

My 2012 (and this one) has A&E Awnings by Dometic. You can also look on Ebay and likely find parts, or visit a Camping World and see if they can order then.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
New Camper

Thanks everyone. It was tied down, we have HUGE stakes that go into the ground as back up, and no storms were forecast. Just a freak incident. 10 minutes after it happened the weather calmed right down and no more wind that night.
Zingy is offline   Reply With Quote