Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a CrossRoads Cruiser CT30BH travel trailer. The dry weight is 6,266#, the standard axle capacity that came with the trailer is 3,500#, making a total capacity of 7,000#. The trailer GVW is 8,085. My concern is the axles do not have a high enough capacity for this trailer. I have discussed this with the CrossRoads a Customer Service technician, he felt that as long as the GVW is not exceeded the axles are fine. I have had tire wear in the past and replaced all my tires (limited mileage on the previous tires).

My question is, has anybody had similar issues?
bcv1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Don't forget to figure in your hitch weight. Subtract that weight from your GVW and you will have the approx max weight over the axles. If your actual weight is 8000lbs, and your hitch weight is15% of that then your weight over the axles is about 6800 lbs. You need to weigh the rig andget your actual numbers.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
New Camper

Stan,

Thanks for the reply back. I actually did all the weights last week. The dry weight was 6600, the pin weight was 1000, leaving 5600 on the axles, a 1400 margin. I am a little anal/paranoid having had some issues with bearings and tires on my past travel trailers.

I did upgrade the tires and had them balanced with metal valve stems. I am hoping this will help with the overall tire issues. IT seems to tow well and I have not noticed any wear, but have only put about 1500 miles on the new tires.

Again, thanks for the reply. I notice you are in Oak Harbor. I am across the water from you in Marysville.
bcv1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

You should be fine as long as you don't exceed the axle weight. You might want to weigh everything one more time when the rig is totally loaded for an extended trip. It's nice to see more people from the NW. Happy camping.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote