Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Back corner separation!

So we returned home last Wednesday from a couple weeks of vacation. Had the 5er in the driveway until I unloaded and washed it on Saturday. When I was washing the back lower corner of our 2016 CAF25SE Cruiser Aire 5er I noticed the lower corner pushed in when I was washing. After cleaning and getting it put back in my enclosed storage building I got under to check things out. The corner had separated about two inches. On the way home and it had rained for the last hour of the drive home. And I had completely rinsed everything down really well because we had been at the coast. After removing the tag and all the lower screws on the back. I also removed the screws up the one side above the separation about two feet. So, what I found was three screws that had for some reason broken off. I removed the broken screws. The plywood had gotten wet about three inches up from the bottom all the way across either from the drive home or rinsing or both. I checked the plywood and it’s still solid. So, right now I have a fan drying out the bottom of the plywood. So, since everything seems solid when it drys out I plan to put everything back with new screws and adding extra for reassurance and then caulking everything at the separation and all the way across underneath to seal. Any thoughts?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I checked the plywood today and it seems to be drying out well. Going to let the fan blow on it for another few days. Then since the plywood is already exposed, I thought I would put some waterproof sealer on the plywood From the bottom maybe 12” up. Then let that dry well before I put everything back together and end up caulking all the way across were it meets together.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 06-20-2020, 03:04 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

After reading your first post, it popped into my mind about using a sealer on the plywood prior to re-assembly. Then I read your second post.
Even the thinnest of plywood will take a considerable amount of moisture before getting soft. the trick is it needs to dry out in between. If it stays wet, it will get soft in pretty short order. I see this regularly on my construction sites. One mistake I see often is although we like to keep our lumber covered, there are times it gets caught in a good rain (just like the men. lol) it is a mistake to re-cover it before it has a chance to dry out, trapping the moisture will create mold on the plywood relatively quickly.
You certainly did the right thing by drying it rapidly with a fan.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Team

For treating your plywood, I recmmend this product.: https://www.pcepoxy.com/products/woo.../pc-petrifier/

I've used it on many wood projects and it does a great job of solidifying and creating a perfect water barrier.

https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-P...00081FW1I?th=1

I use it on the bottom part of posts I bury in the ground and use it on a roof support post/column. Anywhere there is wood to ground contact or where water can pool around a support post.

You won't be sorry if you use it. It's great stuff.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the reply’s and product info.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

A friend of mine and I restore antique mahogany Chris Crafts. West marine penetrating epoxy is gold standard. Not just for ply but structural as well.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote