Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Back up camera 300' wifi

Today I received my AUTO VOX W7 Digital Wireless Backup Camera Kit screen mount for the dash of the truck and figured since I have to go grab the mail why not check out the distance I can get from the camera before the truck looses reception. The distance from the back of the trailer to where the screen will be mounted in the truck is 45' and that was what I thought might be a major concern. But to my surprise I got 320' away from the house before loosing connection, and the camera was placed inside the garage, doors closed. The reviews were very positive and the visual is perfectly crisp. It just has to keep an eye on the boat being towed behind the trailer and will be wired to the clearance lights so it can be on all the time while traveling.. It'll also keep an eye on up coming vehicles...
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Good report. Let us know how it works inside the truck. I did hear about LED lights interfering with back up cameras, but will have to research to find out.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

If anything it should only get better when the camera is mounted on the back of the trailer, at the top center red clearance light that I'm going to steal power from. The Camera wiring also has the antenna transmitter which I'm installing in a small waterproof plastic electrical box to have a place to store all the extra wire and I might even use this box as the camera anchor spot. It's more than sturdy enough and will keep everything super tidy and secure. the waterproof factor isn't important but tidy and movement elimination is the key to any electrical wire. I guess I better hunt down a collapsible ladder to clean the lens, but will be also needed to wipe clean the solar panels also. When I did my initial driving test with the truck away from the camera, the camera was in the box of another vehicle with the RV battery for winter storage, just a foot from the metal garage overhead doors. This camera was impressive..
Old 01-13-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Will you please post pictures of your setup when you get it installed. I've been thinking of installing a backup camera on my T T. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

nice might have to look at a camera to help me back up. Wife runs away, because of the political disagreements over camper placement....
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:32 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I recently bought a similar unit..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And am very pleased with the outcome. I also tested mine in the same manner you did, and was shocked at the distance that I got clear reception with it. I was approximately 800 or so feet from the camera, down the block when the image finally dropped.
One thing to note is the lag time in a wireless unit. When I was using a hardwired unit, the image was real-time. with the wireless, there is a delay in the signal that takes some getting used to, although at backing/parking speeds it is negligible, on the highway I noticed that you must be careful if using it for lane changes and such.
An example is that at highway speeds, if a car is passing me, by the time the car leaves the cameras view, it is actually along side my tow rig already.
That being said, I still put my trust in my mirrors over the camera, although the camera is nice for spotting the occasional Indy 500 driver approaching from behind at breakneck speeds.
And just to show that great minds think alike, I ordered this as well......Lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

While we are on the subject of rear view cameras, I have a question. Later in the week we will be trading in the Cruiser for a Solitude. The Solitude comes equipped for the Furrion brand of camera. Does anyone have any experience, thought, ideas, views, reviews or otherwise opinions on the Furrion system?

Thank you.

Mark and Barbara Young
2016 Cruiser 322RL
2016 RAM 4 Dr Long Bed
Cummings 6.7l Diesel
Allison Tranny
myoungcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoungcc View Post
While we are on the subject of rear view cameras, I have a question. Later in the week we will be trading in the Cruiser for a Solitude. The Solitude comes equipped for the Furrion brand of camera. Does anyone have any experience, thought, ideas, views, reviews or otherwise opinions on the Furrion system?

Thank you.

If you do a search for furrion camera, you should find a lot of info.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoungcc View Post

Thank you.
Go to Amazon and read the reviews on all the different models of that brand of camera, you certainly not forced or obligated to be stuck with a Furrion. Guaranteed all things are not created equal, thank God there not... and the most expensive doesn't make it the best, and sometimes it's easy to see the person writing the review also was the problem, lol...
Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
and the most expensive doesn't make it the best, and sometimes it's easy to see the person writing the review also was the problem, lol...
This is so true. alot of reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.
Certainly, going with the furrion would be the simplest, its literally plug and play, but they are a little pricey. I know others that have used different brands, and simply mounted the bracket on the furrion mounting bracket. the wiring should be quite simple, a power lead and ground, just have to remove the furrion adapter plug and tap the wires.
I have also read reviews previously that mentioned the furrion has a observation/backup model, and a strictly backup model (the cheaper of the 2)
and for whatever reason, the cheaper model has connection issues at speeds over 30 or so Mph (I can't understand that, personally, but it seems like a common complaint)
As stated above, read alot of reviews, and make an informed decision.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
New Camper

My wife purchased a Amtifo HD 1080p DVR Digital
Wireless camera. I believe it was like $200. We have a 2020 27’ 5th wheel, Volante with a Furrion prewired system on the back of the trailer. I will need a bracket adapter which is like $40. It only takes minutes to hook up. Seems like a very nice system for the cost.
msullivan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
New Camper

very nice
jacinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I got this unit earlier this year and couldn't imagine pulling without it. They state on the site that they will provide the needed adapters to hook to Furrion and they did in fact do so after I emailed them. In saying this... I had to trim the cable adapter to fit into the camper ( Furrion pre-wired ) plug. Also the bracket they sent is meant to replace the Furrion " shark fin " I took the cover off the shark fin and bolted the camera bracket to it and re-installed giving me the ability to keep the wires out of the elements. I have to have the running lights on to power the camera, but it works flawlessly, giving me the ability to see if I have room to change lanes while driving. If pics are wanted...let me know and I will put some up. Just trying to help my fellow Campers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2018 Sunset trail 291RK
2017 F250 gasser
Monday blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #14
New Camper

I have that same camera. I ordered the adapter bracket from Tadi Brothers. About to try to install.
msullivan268 is offline   Reply With Quote