Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bad converter (charger)?

I own a 2006 Crossroads Zinger and need some help.`

I've determined that my battery is bad and ready to be replaced. Can anyone tell me how to check my battery charger? I'm wondering if it has failed and am not sure how to test it. With no battery connected, should I be reading 12 to 14 volts on my battery leads (while plugged in to A/C) or is there some protective feature I don't know about? I read zero volts DC. All of my fuses in the panel appear to be good. I may simply need a new battery, but I'd rather be confident that my trailer will charge the new battery.

Thank you for any help,

Robert
Rob Baff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:38 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Many chargers will not show voltage at the leads unless a battery is connected. The battery must also be at a certain voltage level as well. If it is too low, the charger will not recognize that it is there.
We used to have an audi S4 cabrio that the wife would rarely drive. the battery was stone dead. When I connected the charger, it wouldn't recognize the battery, and I had to bring out my Marine battery, and hook up jumper cables to the dead battery while on the charger to "trick" it into recognizing, and charging the dead battery. She drove it the auto parts place, and they swapped it out for her.
You could test your charger in a similar fashion prior to installing your new battery.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:06 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

A simpler method would be to test your new battery voltage prior to installing it. Once installed, and on Shore power, test it again. The voltage should read higher if your charger is working.
I believe most chargers should provide approx. 13.5 volts
Old 09-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your reply and thoughts on this. I'll give it a try after I buy a new battery.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Troubleshooting tips from WFCO. https://wfcoelectronics.com/faq/#tab-613df80f128b0
There are also several youtube vids on troublemshooting converters.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:28 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

On the battery end of the cable to converter is a 12VDC circuit breaker, and on power panel end is fuse/s (often 30a-40a marked reverse polarity?), but Rrizz is correct about modern chargers will not output voltage unless battery voltage greater than x... suggest you have old battery charged/ tested, and then with new/ charged battery installed, then check charging voltage? (look for 13.2-14.6vdc)
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I have received a new converter (battery charger). I know I need to go get a new battery, but the old charger has an aluminum cover that is open on each end for the fan's air to flow through. The new one does not have this cover and the old one won't fit because it oppositely configured. I'm thinking I may just install it the way it is. Being inside a small cabinet, I don't see the shield being of much use. It may help concentrate the air flow through the components, but I'm hoping it will be fine the way it is. I'll let you all know.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Re: Charging the Battery

I have installed the new converter and a new battery. All seems to be well. I'd like to ask for advice on how long I should leave the trailer plugged in? It's parked on the side of my house. I don't want to cook another battery and charger. I was in the hospital for a while when my last battery failed/cooked. The charger also failed. Should I only plug it for a short while (maybe a week) and then let it sit unplugged for a week or two? What is the best way to maintain the battery without ruining it? It's possible that my last battery just got old and failed which maybe ruined the charger. The battery was 6 years old.
Anyway, I'd just like some advice on how to best care for this battery.

Thank you,
Robert Baffrey, Fernley, NV
Old 09-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

How about this idea?

Maybe it's best to put the battery on a float charge (disconnected from the trailer)? What do you all do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

From what I understand, that depends on your converter. If it is a "smart" converter ( I assume most new models are) it is ok to leave it plugged in. It will not overcharge the battery, causing it to fail prematurely.
I would suggest reading up on the owners manual. That information should be listed in there.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I bet it is. It didn't cross my thick mind to look!

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

So yes, the charger has three-stage smart charging. Absorption, Bulk, and Float modes. So I guess there is no reason to take it off the trailer or to unplug it.
Thanks Rrizz.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Mine is plugged in 24/7, previous coach battery replaced at 8yo and chassis battery was 10yo before it failed (21yo original Magnetek charger) Do check battery water level Monthly, (may not have to add for 3-6months?).. Good battery will need equal water all cells. a failing battery/ failing CELL will need water when Other cells do not. What happens is, with age, sometimes a piece of a plate falls down and shorts plates together.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Thank you.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:20 PM   #15
Site Team

Mine stays plugged in year round just be sure to check the water in the battery at least twice a year.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Thanks.