Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2008 30SK, and the fan in the bathroom stopped working last month. My first reaction was to buy a new motor. After replacing that, is when I found out the on/off switch was bad. (Now I have two goodmotors).

I don't handle "sparks" very well, but I thought I could change out the on and off switch for the bathroom fan. After blowing 5 fuses, I thought I would ask for some help from the folks who know.

There are two wires coming from the ceiling,one is white, the other whitewith agreen stripe. Both are split and connected (two white together) and (two white/green) together. If I attach either the white or black wires from the motor, the motor runs. The new on/off switch has two black wires. No matter which combination I try, I blow a fuse when I touch the switch wires to the white wires.

Can someone give me the entire wiring hook- up directions?

2008 CF30SK

2005 Dodge Ram 2500

5.9 Cummins.

2010 Candy red Mustang convert

https://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...IMG_0969-1.jpg
NCFUN2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Did you happen to note how the wires off the old fan were connected?

Generally, black wires denote ground wires which leads me to believe that your switch is supposed to be installed in line with the ground wire of the fan (normal).

Have you tried connecting the white/green tracer wires to the switch and the other side of the switch to the black wire from the motor? The white wire from the motor would then be connected to the pair of solid white wires which are wrapped together.

If you have a convenient place to ground a multi-meter, you can check for continuity and find which of the wire bundles from the ceiling are to ground. My guess is that it's the pair of green/white tracer wires.

Is there an installation manual that came with the new fan?

Then again, there might be a short in the line which caused the orignial switch to go south and that problem is what's causing your blown fuses now. Can you check the old switch and see if it's really bad?

Edited by: jeb
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Find the 12v hot wire from the ceiling (prob two white-check for 12v)) and connect one of the switch wires to these. The other black switch wire goes to the fan. The 2nd wire from the fan goes to the two white/green (check for ground continuity) wires from the ceiling. I may have that backwards so you need to find the 12v hot wire from the ceiling. The switch should be wired 12v in (from the ceiling wires) and 12v out to the fan.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Leave the white wire frome the fan connected to the plain white wires. Connect 1 wire from the switch to the motor, then connect the other black wire from the switch to the green/white wire. That's as simple as I can explain without pictures. Make sure you unplug your unit from shore power and battery power so you are not blowing anymore fuses or shorting something else out.Edited by: ryeja

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

The switch is just an inline switch. So you only hook up the switch inline on one of the wires. Think just cutting one wire and hooking the two ends one to each end of the wire youcut in half.Most times it is the ground where the switch is usedbecause the switch doesnt do well with a 12v load going through it. It is always best to wire through the ground wire and not the hot wire. If you do hook it up through the hot wire, the switch will work but the juice that runs through the hot wire could burn the contacts inside of it sooner than if you used it for the ground wire.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Hope this helps.

Edited by: jeb
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Not to make this more difficult/confusing, I don't agree with switching the ground (" It is always best to wire through the ground wire and not the hot wire.") If the motor shorts out then you have 12v feeding the motor until the fuse blows. Granted this may be more important in 120v house current, but it is a bad practice nonetheless.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanx to all who answered my plea for help. That is what makes this site so awsome!! I finished the job this afternoon, and all is working properly. Thanx especially to jeb - that picture is worth a thousand words for me.

Happy camping. Bob and Lynn

2008 CF30SK

2005 Dodge Ram 2500

5.9 Cummins.

2010 Candy red Mustang convert

https://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...IMG_0969-1.jpg
NCFUN2GO is offline   Reply With Quote