Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a Deka Marine Master battery, it's a Group 24. The reserve

capacity is 70. Can anyone tell me the amp-hr for this battery? I'm considering using solar panels when I boondocket.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I would not try to dry camp on a group 24 battery. At best you would get somewhat less than one day of use if your solar panels weren't charging due to heavy overcast conditions. For dry camping I would suggest at least two 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series to make 12 volts. If you find these inadequate then you could make another set of two golf cart batteries and wire them in parallel with the original set. This arrangement would give you as much as four days if you are careful with your use of energy.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Also might consider a portable generator if you're out in the boonies a lot. We use the Honda 2000.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch
I have a Deka Marine Master battery, it's a Group 24. The reserve capacity is 70. Can anyone tell me the amp-hr for this battery? I'm considering using solar panels when I boondocket.

Deka has there battery specifications posted here. They show several different model of their Marine Master that have a group 24. The only one that lists a reserve capacity is a starting battery, not a deep cycle. The starting Batteries do not have an amp-hr rating. Make sure that you have a deep cycle battery (or preferably batteries if you are dry camping) as a starting battery probably isn't going to make it through the night for you.

They do have a 20 HR Capacity rating for the Deep Cycle and Dual Purpose batteries, which I believe is the Amp-Hr rating.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I did my own calculations. A reserve capacity of 70 minutes is equal to 29.2 amp-hr. Not so good. I guess I'll have to buy a real deep cycle battery .

Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I did my own calculations. A reserve capacity of 70 minutes is equal to 29.2 amp-hr. Not so good. I guess I'll have to buy a real deep cycle battery .

As long as you are considering solar panels, do yourself a favor and look at the Trojan line of 6V deep cycle batteries. They have 3 different capacities. T105--T125--and-- the T145.
Get TWO (2) of which ever one you decide on.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Quote:
As long as you are considering solar panels, do yourself a favor and look at the Trojan line of 6V deep cycle batteries. They have 3 different capacities. T105--T125--and-- the T145.
Get TWO (2) of which ever one you decide on.

I strongly agree with Lloyd's recommendation on the Trojans, I have two T125s and I am very happy with their performance. Now I just need the solar panels. Someday (I hope.....)

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I'll be putting 270 watts of solar panels on my boat this season. Most of my camping will be during the off season for boating. I am going to mount the panels so that they can be removed from the boat, would do that for winter storage anyway, and taken with us in the 5er. For use with the 5er, I'll probably mount the panels on a light backboard and leave them loose so that I can change the orientation to the sun for optimum performance.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusSailor
I'll be putting 270 watts of solar panels on my boat this season. Most of my camping will be during the off season for boating. I am going to mount the panels so that they can be removed from the boat, would do that for winter storage anyway, and taken with us in the 5er. For use with the 5er, I'll probably mount the panels on a light backboard and leave them loose so that I can change the orientation to the sun for optimum performance.
Panels setting around loose like that are susceptible to a couple things, both not good.
1st- The wind can get a hold of them quite readily.
2nd- There is always a chance they can walk off when you aren't looking.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Panels setting around loose like that are susceptible to a couple things, both not good.
1st- The wind can get a hold of them quite readily.
2nd- There is always a chance they can walk off when you aren't looking.
[/QUOTE]

I intend to mount them on some sort of articulating arm which should take care of the wind problem, at least in moderate winds. I could probably come up with some system to lock them to the 5er while still leaving them capable of being moved on the articulating arm. However, to steal them someone would have to be bold enough to carry away a 5' x 5' panel that would weigh 50+ pounds while staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun!!!